Thread: UK landline phones - do they work in NZ.

Default UK landline phones - do they work in NZ.

Should we pack our BT phones ?
    I've searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to this one.

We've got a set of 4 dect phones, one of which is an answaphone & plugs into the BT socket, the others are just wireless to the base phone.
    Do the NZ phones have the same socket to plug in to the telecom system.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure if you're already in NZ the answers simple ! - just like me !!!!

Ali

Thumbs up

Hi Ali
    Yes bring your phones. Unfortunately we had already given away our cordless phones before we found out that the sockets are the same as the UK. So ended up just bringing the only one we had left in the house which is cordless with answerphone. So ended up buying the same phones we gave away here in NZ DOH!!!!
    Jackie

Hi Ali.

Yes, ours sound as though they are the same as yours and they work just fine.

Just remember that you will have to change the 3 pin plug to fit a NZ socket.

We brought over half a dozen 4 plug extension leads from the UK and so this meant that we only had to change one plug at a time. Ideal for the TV, DVD, video, not forgetting the PC etc.

Julie

xx

I know it is not for you, but want to raise just in case another deaf person reading it...
    Most of minicom/textphone from UK, not sure about USA too, doesn't work here! My own minicom doesn't at all, so check with relay service of NZ to check if your minicom do work in NZ...I had to get new one, but lucky I can get it free from them as got community service card, but the catch is, the paperwork to claim it is so been here for nearly 8months now, and haven't got it sort out yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa View Post
    I know it is not for you, but want to raise just in case another deaf person reading it...
    Most of minicom/textphone from UK, not sure about USA too, doesn't work here! My own minicom doesn't at all, so check with relay service of NZ to check if your minicom do work in NZ...I had to get new one, but lucky I can get it free from them as got community service card, but the catch is, the paperwork to claim it is so been here for nearly 8months now, and haven't got it sort out yet!!!

What a good point Sophia.

Hope you get yours sorted out soon.

Julie

xx

Default Rj11

Pick up any telephone or answering machine and look at what type of socket it uses. (not the extension cord that connects to the wall) You will find it looks like the same socket as on a PC modem card or laptop computer. Much like a smaller version of a network LAN socket. That is because both network LAN and telephone use the same standard "RJ" series in telco networks. The computer being RJ-45 and the telephone RJ-11. But in NZ they adopted the BT (British Telecom) connector just so they can be different

I can understand the use of different electrical plugs in each country (due to different voltage ratings and insulation requirements). But in telephones, one would think other countries (apart from N.America) would use the same socket/plug that is built-in on the phone for their wall outlets.

Yes it'll work. With the exception of minicom equipment as Sophia pointed out.

Why does each country have to reinvent the wheel ? Even more to the point why do NZ and OZ use the same electrical plugs and sockets. If it's good enough for OZ it can't possibly be any good at all in NZ and vice versa.

As this document proves, NZ and BT connectors are exactly the same.

www.telemaster.com.au/Catalogcurrent/nz.pdf