Thread: Fitter/Welder

Smile Fitter/Welder

Hi

Could anyone tell me please if a Fitter/Welder in New Zealand (long Term skill shortage list) is the same as a pipefitter/Welder or a fabricator/Welder in the UK.

My husband has City & Guilds level 3 in Welding but no fabrication qualifications and he has worked as a pipefitter/Welder for the last 4 years.

Has anyone got any advice of the best way for us to emigrate to New Zealand because at the moment we are a bit confused as we need a job before we apply.

Thanks
    Last edited by joeyjo; 14th June 2007 at 06:49 AM.

Hi Joeyjo,

welcome to the forum. there are a few welders on the forum so someone should be able to answer your questions

Hi Joeyjo!!

Welcome to the forum. This is indeed the place to come for answers!! I do not know the specifics of welding requirements in NZ, but if you follow this thread, which contains links to welders employers, then it may be a good place to start.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....hlight=welders

If not, then you can use the search facility, (I entered 'welder' to find the thread). It is really useful and should locate pretty much anything you need

With regard to the process for emigrating, then do a search again (keywords - Emigrating + process or EOI etc). This should find some threads of interest to you.....

Good luck with everything.....

Liam n Rach
    Last edited by liamnrach; 14th June 2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Add more text....

Hi
    Thanks for the replys. I guess what I should have asked is can we still get into New Zealand as a Welder as this is not on the Long term skill shortage list (only fitter/welder is).
    There seems to be a lot of welding jobs advertised its just whether we can apply for them.
    Thanks again
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjo View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for the replys. I guess what I should have asked is can we still get into New Zealand as a Welder as this is not on the Long term skill shortage list (only fitter/welder is).
    There seems to be a lot of welding jobs advertised its just whether we can apply for them.
    Thanks again
    Jo
    hes qualified with C&G does he have his coded welding tickets? (no probs if not)

Most jobs my OH went for they wern't bothered that much with the paperwork - they just gave him a welding test - and said - when can you start
    but he will have to get used to the idea of multi tasking! non of the having a semi-skilled for tacking and doing the mundane bits here and the welder coming in and doing the final welds - (Rob misses that!)

its everything here I once saw an ad for a welder/fitter/mechanic/forktruck/driver/with admin skills
    - and once your in the country - there are tonnes of jobs advertised for welders - in all areas of engineering fields - but you may find that they don't take much notice of enquiries from outside NZ (they want you to start work straight away - not 6mth to a year down the line).

PS. Robs C&G L3 was classed as a NZQA L 4 as his was 4 yrs study with Indentures of his apprenticeship with it.

Hope that helps - its a year since we arrived and 2 yrs since we were where you are now - so my memory is a bit rusty - but most of our posts are on that first post anyway

Kat

Smile Katandbob

Thanks so much for your reply Kat. Its great for someone who is there to reply.

He does have his tickets and is actually a pipefitter welder and is perfectly willing to multiskill. What do you think is a reasonable wage in NZ for Welders of their standard. Its difficult to tell from here because most of the jobs on the internet don't have the rate on them.

Lastly, did you go on a work permit and then apply for residence once there or did you get a job whilst still in the UK and then apply. Which would you recommend?

I'd love to hear from you again Kat

Thanks

Jo