Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheese & Tomato Pizza

Default Cheese & Tomato Pizza

Our kids love pizza (what kid doesn't) but being fussy little beggars they will only eat very plain cheese and tomato. It would be nice to be able to keep a couple of cheapo frozen ones in that we can just throw in the oven on occasions when we're feeling lazy and they're complaining about imminent death from acute starvation.

However, to date we have failed miserably to find any in the supermarkets. You want ham, bacon, chicken, pineapple, peperoni etc on your pizza, then fine, wnat none of the above, tough.

I know we can have them made up to be plain and boring at some of the posher supermarkets, but that's not really what we're after.

Anyone seen bog standard, really plain, fussy child friendly frozen pizza's anywhere ?

Hardly an earth shattering question I know, but just wondering.

sorry not seen any - & I've been looking as my stepson arrives to visit soon & it's the only pizza he will eat too !

The best I can suggest is having some pizza bases in & covering them with puree & cheese - mmmmmm sounds so tasty !!!

vic

Hey BBB

Have you tried making your own? It's soooooo easy and you can get the kids to help out/chuck pizza dough round the kitchen You could make a batch of them and stick yhem in the freezer ready for when you want to nuke them.

I haven't actually tried freezing the ones I make, but what I'd probably do is part bake the pizza base then apply the topping and put in the freezer. Then all you'd have to do is stick them in a hot oven for 10 mins when you want them.

Just a thought Oh and it would be much cheaper (not that I'm a tight wad or anything )

Milliemoo

BBB's OH here. We've tried the make your own and let the kids help and put their tomato puree and cheese on and they STILL didn't like them!

We know it's no big deal but just wondered if anyone had come across them on their travels around the various supermarkets.

We looked for a long time too ,in the end bought those ready sauced bases and a bag of Mozzarella grated cheese.

But it is probably cheaper just to buy them from Pizza hut or Dominos with a voucher.

Marie x

I agree with the above posters:
    You can make your own pizza very easily with all different kinds of toppings etc.Making pizza with the kids is more fun!
    I would recommend to make a few of them and put them in the frezzer.

We haven't found any either. So we do homemade also, but the lazy version - with ready made pizza bases. Checkout Foodtown online for a range (search for pizza):

www.foodtown.co.nz

Leaning Tower seem to do a cheesy microwave snack pizza but I've got a feeling that it isn't plain either.

Hells pizza do a range called 333, which allows children to have no, or 1 topping for $5 or sometimes free with a meal deal

www.hell.co.nz

Our fussy 5 year old likes these and is even trying toppings now as you can just put them on half. Ice cream for afters acts as the bribe errrr I mean incentive!

On a similar note has anyone come across non-spicy sausage rolls? My kids use to love Greggs sauasge rolls in the UK but are finding it hard to get use to the spicier ones here. Same with sausages in general.

Cheers

Tia

We've found that you need to get chicken sausages if you want non-spicy ones.

Actually there is quite a good selection of chicken sausages at Pak & Save and (to our surprise) they seem to be quite nice.

We came across some (admittedly not cheap) sausages that are delicious called 'little boy sausages' (no, not made from little boys) that were being 'demo'd' in New World one time. They had beef, lamb, chicken and duck varieties. We got some beef and chicken ones and they were georgeous - not 'spicy' but quite 'herby' if that makes sense.

Haven't seen them since though.

I like the thought of sausages made from little boys, I have 2 here is anyone needs more meet.

The pizza question will also bother us when we get there as my 2 only eat margehita, There must be a market for them. I think home made from pizza bases may be the easiest, and probably closest in taste.

might be worth asking in supermarkets where they make them up in store and sell them in the fresh counters. (logically, you should then be able to freeze them).

I know someone who is vegetarian and I'm pretty sure her local new world made one on request....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast