Thread: Auckland climate

Default Auckland climate

We're confused!

A major reason for us considering Auckland is the climate (we currently live in Northumberland in the North-East of England & have had about 5 sunny days this summer!).

But looking at the temperatures, Auckland seems a massive improvement to what we're used to but we've read conflicting reports about the changing-climate in Auckland.

It would be great if someone can give us a first-hand run-down of what the climate is actually like - is it as nice as the average temperatures make it seem? does it rain alot? how cold does it get in winter? will we need a house with central heating?

Thanks loads in advance!

Hiya,

Auckland gets about 2000 hours of sunshine per year. It has a temerate/sub-tropical climate. It can get cold in winter..this year has been the coldest for 10 years and it has only produced a handful of light early morning frosts in sheltered places. It has crept down to 4 C at night in winter and is generally abou 14-18 C during the day in winter. We get our fair share of rain....cats, dogs and the occasional llama! Summers are generally speaking hot and humid!

Believe me it's an improvement on Northumberlands climate!!!!!!!

Karl

Hi Neil, central heating - you might want a house with central heating but finding one will be the problem. Seriously, central heating is not necessary in Auckland imho. Getting a well-insulated house would be a good idea though.

Thanks for that info, that's a big help.

A big consideration for us is not the actual sunshine (we're not sun worshippers by any means) but the <<warmth>>. It so often so cold here it's no wonder our kids spend so much time indoors.

They're still young though so we're hoping to move somewhere which enables them to have a more outdoorsy-type life!

So when it gets cold in Auckland, is that winter jacket, scarf & hat cold, or just big jumper cold? And how many days per year approx would it be like this?!?! Haha - i hope you know what i'm trying to get at!

We are planning a trip to NZ to check Auckland out but it would help to know this stuff before we spend lots of money on the trip!

Thanks so much.

A couple of more questions from my wife...

"How does NZ/Auckland winter compare to the winter we experience in the UK"?

"How easy is it to purchase a 'well-insulated' house"?

Thanks again

It's not easy to but a well insulated house unless you are buying a fairly new one! You can always have one built or insulate one you decide to buy!

I recommend you look at heat pumps as a cheap method of heating! For every kwh you spend in electricty you get the equivalent of up to 3kwh of heat out!