Thread: Dannevirke

Default Dannevirke

Hi guys
    Looking for any info on this or surrounding area.
    We spent a month on the south island and have decided we are deffinately moving over, but just wondering if the lower north might be better!
    Can any one give me some info, ie. is it as spread out as the south island and also is there as much carpentry work available there as there is on the south?
    Are there any areas to avoid and is there much difference in the weather?
    Any info much appreciated, Thanks.

We drove thro' Dannevirke in March, not a lot there to be honest, rural pasture land; stopped for petrol and asked the friendly girl what it was like living there. Her answer wasn't very inspiring, something like " Well it's the wettest, coldest, greyest place in New Zealand to live BUT its safe for kids and everyone knows everyone else and people look out for each other"

We had a very wet, drizzley evening there, but found a lovely secluded place to park up for the night at the beginning of a tramp, no-one else around, native bush stunning. Rain again next morning so didn't dilly dally.

Sorry if that's a bit negative...

Quote Originally Posted by settersred View Post
    Hi guys
    Looking for any info on this or surrounding area.
    We spent a month on the south island and have decided we are deffinately moving over, but just wondering if the lower north might be better!
    Can any one give me some info, ie. is it as spread out as the south island and also is there as much carpentry work available there as there is on the south?
    Are there any areas to avoid and is there much difference in the weather?
    Any info much appreciated, Thanks.
    Hi

I lived in Dannevegas (as it's locally known).
    The population is very small, about 4,000 and is mainly farming based.
    There is only one high school which doesn't have glowing reports!! Many parents send their kids to school in Palmerston North which is an hour away. The route is either via the gorge (not for the faint hearted esp in winter which it is sometimes closed due to weather). or over the top which adds around 10-15 more minutes to your journey.
    It is one of those towns were everyone knows everyone. So if you like your privacy consider this.
    If you are thinking about building just remember it isn't one of the most affluent areas as they are mainly low paid jobs. The people who do have money are generally farm owners (who really don't like spending money - farmers are like this the world over though). This may mean you cannot sell your dream home even if you wanted to.
    I came home as I missed home (UK).

Seriously think about being isolated, as it is pretty isolated. I would consider Palmerston North.

Jo

Default Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    We drove thro' Dannevirke in March, not a lot there to be honest, rural pasture land; stopped for petrol and asked the friendly girl what it was like living there. Her answer wasn't very inspiring, something like " Well it's the wettest, coldest, greyest place in New Zealand to live BUT its safe for kids and everyone knows everyone else and people look out for each other"

We had a very wet, drizzley evening there, but found a lovely secluded place to park up for the night at the beginning of a tramp, no-one else around, native bush stunning. Rain again next morning so didn't dilly dally.

Sorry if that's a bit negative...

Let me tell you a tale about them 'thinking' about it being safer for kids, talk about emperors clothes. My daughter was swimming for the school in the swimming gala. This is in the local pool that was built from charity funds which took many many years to raise. Anway I was sat next to a lady and asked her about swimming clubs.
    This was the conversation
    She said 'the one my daughter goes to is full but see that man over there he has just started a club'
    'Oh' I replied 'Is he a swimming coach'
    'Oh No, his daughter swims so he just started one up'
    my reply 'Oh so anyone can start up a club then'
    'Oh yes' she said
    'WHAT!! with no police checks or anything on his background, how do you know your kids are completely safe!'
    'Good god' she said' I had never thought about that'

before anyone jumps on me saying we shouldn't think like that but I am sorry I do, always have and my mum before me in the 60's and 70's. she wouldn't allow my brother in the cubs, scouts or the choir.

So yes if you are 30 years behind the perception may that kids are safe. But please consider that even the locals aren't thinking about child safety they are just assuming it!!.

I hope I have made my self clear on what I am trying to say. My advice is think of all angles not just on the words of others.

As for it being grey, cold and wet..........absolutely.

Jo

Some people assume most people are good and trustworthy, some assume the opposite.

The motel we stayed at had a woman who lived in Dannevirke and she loved it BUT it is very much a rural backwater, akin to perhaps a remote farming community in Wales or Scotland. You would get the advantages of a real community feel, a sense of safety and trust and cheaper housing but your children would likely dream of leaving in their late teens and if you enjoy the 'buzz' of a city it might depress you.