Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fleas?

Default fleas?

Certainly not a deal-breaker at all...just curious!

Are fleas a big problem for your pets (and homes!) in NZ?

Not such a problem here in the Upper Great Lakes region of North America b/c our winters can be bitter cold making it difficult for large numbers of eggs to remain viable but they were a major annoyance in the Pacific Northwest where winters were so mild it was easy for fleas to overwinter.

it's certainly mild enough here in the north island for fleas to overwinter. I dont have a pet here, but have noticed flea bites when visiting people with cats. also notice that head lice seems to be a problem at some schools.
    There are lots of those flea kill programs for sale in auckland.

When I got my kittens they were absolutely riddled with fleas. So much so, that I reported the seller to the SPCA as they were actually quite close to death according to my vet.
    I treated them with Advantage and have never seen another flea since. I think it's definitely cold enough to kill them off during the winter time - even here in Auckland. (Or that could just be my house!)

Ha Kerry S.

two different answers from people both living in auckland! well probably we're both right.
    G.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    When I got my kittens they were absolutely riddled with fleas. So much so, that I reported the seller to the SPCA as they were actually quite close to death according to my vet.
    How terrible! Glad you blew the whistle on the breeder!
    Ana

We use Advantage from the vet on our dog now, after using the supermarket stuff and him still getting the little blighters, in the UK the supermarket stuff did the trick every time.

Its a bit warmer so you just have to be a bit more vigilant with the treatment.

We noticed fleas in our rental when we moved in in the summer, which surprised us as there are no carpets and it's supposed to be no pets! We used 'flea bombs' before our stuff arrived, which were very effective. Sometimes I hate renting!

It depends strongly on the animal owner. My partner keeps our own cat clean of fleas and we flea-bomb every place we move to. We've never had any problems - and being allergic to anything that bites me - I'm a good indicator if there are fleas around

Dougie

I have 2 dogs and I give them Advantage every 2 months and have never seen a flea on them or in the house.

Lupin 77 wrote:

We noticed fleas in our rental when we moved in in the summer, which surprised us as there are no carpets and it's supposed to be no pets! We used 'flea bombs' before our stuff arrived, which were very effective.
    I was telling somone how I had put carpet in our bedroom and how much warmer it is when they told me they would only ever use rugs in Auckland because of fleas.

A friend of hers had recently bought a new property and then went away on holiday for a couple of weeks, when they returned they went to step into the hall when they noticed the carpet move in a wave like fashion - it was covered in fleas! They had to leave stright away and call in the exterminators.

I also know of several people who have rented and thought they were getting mozzie bites but it turned out to be fleas.

Kanatakiwi wrote:

also notice that head lice seems to be a problem at some schools.
    There was an article in a local Auckland paper about the mothers who had secretly resorted to using pet treatments on their children as nothing else worked on headlice. Apparently it was very effective.

Cheers

Tia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast