Thread: Primary schools in wellington and hutt valley

Default Primary schools in wellington and hutt valley

Any advice on which areas (in and arround Wellington) are good ones to live with a young family - especially regarding primary schools would be great.

We (me, my OH, 7 year old and 2 year old) are due to arrive in Wellington early sept 07 and are starting to search the web for good schools and suburbs but there are so many to choose from I cant begin to decide on one!

Should we live by the beach or up in the hills? Close to the city or out in the Hutt valley?

Default Hutt Valley

Hi Lloydie we are heading to the Hutt Valley in December, we have been looking in Trentham as thats where our job offer is. There are a few primary schools there and Silverstream seems to be a good school from what I have read. It is popular and they only take people who live in the catchment area

Hi,

We are living in Korokoro a small place situated on the hills overlooking Petone and Wellington.

Fantastic primary school - takes children up till they begin High School - aged 13.

We have a 10 year old and he has settled in really easily... we only arrived in March and he is already playing in the basket ball team and the water polo team - two things he hadn't had the opportunity to do back in the UK.

If you are thinking of living in the Hutt Valley - I would check out the catchment areas for high schools - they are very strict and some schools appear to be be much better than others.

Good Luck

Alison

Default high schools

Hi Alison

Korokoro was one of the places we were considering and I checked out the primary school's web site which looked good to me so its great to hear that you like it. Whats the housing like up there? And is there a good community feel to it?

You mentioned high school catchments in the Hutt Valley. Have you managed to find out which high schools are good? I havnt even thought that far but I guess it makes sense to take it into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by caz View Post
    Hi Lloydie we are heading to the Hutt Valley in December, we have been looking in Trentham as thats where our job offer is. There are a few primary schools there and Silverstream seems to be a good school from what I have read. It is popular and they only take people who live in the catchment area
    I havnt heard of Trentham - is it far out from the city? My OH will be working in the CBD so will need to factor in comute time.

Default Hutt Valley

Hi Lloydie

Trentham is in central Hutt, and from what I have been told is commutable, where/what is CBD?

CBD = Central Business District

Where = Central part of Wellington i.e. areas around Lambton Harbour

Ian

Trentham is in Upper Hutt ("the Hutt" is usually classed as Lower Hutt/Petone/Wainuiomata & Eastbourne), and approx 45 mins by train from Wellington CBD - maybe slightly longer by car in rush hour.

Guess it depends on your definition of a "reasonable" commute!

As a suburb Trentham is ok, although I would recommend looking at Silverstream, Heretaunga, Riverstone & Pinehaven as options if you like the look of Upper Hutt (my kids are at Silverstream school, even though we don't live there now).

Matt