Thread: Shipping insurance

Default Shipping insurance

Wondering wether to insure against shipping costs, John Mason's, just what is the likelihood of ships sinking on route ???

Any suggestions please, altho if it keeps raining like this we can float it there ourselves

I would definitely take out shipping insurance but NOT with the shippers. They charge extortionate prices. Try Letton Percival who charge half the price.

As for the chances of your ship sinking - remember the container ship about 3-4 months ago that ran aground off the coast of cornwall - lots of peoples belonging were on that. Imagine if that was you and then ask yourself if you have the money to replace all your belongings.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpiggy View Post
    I would definitely take out shipping insurance but NOT with the shippers. They charge extortionate prices. Try Letton Percival who charge half the price.
    Just a flip side to this..... depending on the value of the goods your insurance, it can be sensible to take out shippers insurance (always negoicate on the published %). Letton Percival have a high excess, so if you did need to make a claim it *could* work out more expensive.

BTW we also insured for shipping costs. My thinking being, we're insuring everything else so why not?

Milliemoo

Glad we did have shipping insurance as we had few items damaged during shipping.

We able to claims money back to pay for new ones..only things we find it pain about insurance...make sure you write everything, i mean everything on the form what you want insurance for, because there was two items damaged not on the form , so we had to use as it is part of "tools" for garden progagtor after i forgot put them on list in it!! etc (i know it is hard to remember what you got!)

My advice after my and Pip's experiences, is beware of Moving Co in Christchurch....NZ's side of John Masons. See pip's post about MAF fee...so you not caught in same boat.