Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Heat Pumps..........

Just one room Nicky maybe two if you open all the doors and haven't come across one that is pumped into other rooms as yet Although I believe you can duct them through if installing new ones but someone else may be along to tell you more To be honest as stand-alone heating source they are not great in my opinion unless like me you like sitting underneath them

Karenx

So apart from getting central heating (to radiators) installed what is the best method of heating? I thought heat pumps were a step up from log burners.

Quote Originally Posted by zardell View Post

They all came up with the same conclusion : yes, our heat pump is big enough to do what we are asking of it, but apparently, because (like all heat pumps) it draws in cold air from the outside then warms up said air as it passes through the unit and then blows it into the room, it will only blow out really hot air if the outside air isn't too cold !!!!!!!!

Julie

xx
    Sounds like a heater I had in 20 year old Land Rover. Don't know why I'm laughing, due to hit NZ for a Southland winter. where it's warmer in the kitchen fridge then the front room.

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    So apart from getting central heating (to radiators) installed what is the best method of heating? I thought heat pumps were a step up from log burners.
    Heat pumps are one of the most efficient forms of heating with electricity which is why they are quite common. But converting electricity to heat is very inefficient method anyway.

With heat pumps or log burners you can get ducted systems which can take the heat from one room and disperse it to other rooms. This actually works well with log burners which tend to make one room too hot and all the others too cold. Not so good for heat pumps as they are specced for the volume of air they have to heat e.g. the size of the room that they are in, so you need a bigger one if you want to heat more rooms with it.

Another method used which is 'central heating' is gas ducted heating system where gas is burnt to produce heat which is ducted to the various living areas, these seem to be very common in new houses.

Ian

I have to say that anything I post relating to keeping warm should be taken with a big pinch of salt as am complete wuss and hate being even a wee bit cold This morning for instance I had several layers on whilst OH was in shorts and t-shirt and wee one in a pair of socks (that's 3 year old boys for you )

Our rental is practically brand new with insulation and double glazing and one heat pump. It doesn't heat the whole house but if it was our house I would put another one near the back of the house and think that would be good enough

Karenx

Just to say that this thread has been resurrected from 12 months ago and as you probably know by now we've moved, but nevertheless, I'll tell you the end result.

It transpired that the heat pump was not big enough to do the job. It was a 4.(something) and an 8.(something) was the required size.

You can tell I understand these things can't you !!!!!!!

Anyhow, we ended up buying a gas fire and it was fantastic.

I have to say and this is purely from a personal perspective, that IMO any form of 'hot air' heating is OK whilst it's running. The second it goes off the room begins to feel colder.

Nothing to do with the lack of insulation in our case, although lets face it, double glazing would be advantageous in any house, but even with the gas ducted 'central heating' we have now, albeit lovely and toasty warm, I don't find it as efficient at maintaining the heat in the rooms as I believe I would if there were radiators.

And I miss my fireplace!!

Julie

xx

Hi Julie,

Glad you're keeping warm! Makes sense that heat smaller heat pump wouldn't have done the job right. I recently got a heat pump installed, and love it so far. Decided to go with the ducted approach, so there are vents in every room. Depending how cold your climate is where you live, gas could actually be the most cost effective choice. I've read about heating solutions that use gas when it's cold, and switch to the heat pump once outside warms up enough. Cool!

Btw, personally i like the idea of forced air heating (whether be from gas or heat pump), just to get the air moving around the house. Think it's good for moisture reasons. Having said that, I like the idea of heated floors for the next house. :-)

[delete post, same as prev]
    Last edited by suebeenz; 4th June 2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: double post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234