Thread: wellington car hire ??

Default wellington car hire ??

Hi
    We are arriving into wellington in september and are currently trying to sort out car hire for the first few weeks - any suggestions ?
    We need a hire company that will deliver the car to the bach (lower hutt), and as we are 2 adults and 3 children we are looking for a people carrier - the searches I've done so far on the internet have been really expensive......anyone know a decent cheaper firm ???

cheers

We used Ace Rentals for a family sized car, around $38 a day where Hertz/Avis were $100 a day Not sure what a people carrier would cost though.

You could also try rent a dent, heard good things about them.

Not sure who else to try though, hopefully someone else has used a different company

The companies we used on our trip were Ace, Apex, and Apollo.

Ace was "ok," although the car was a bit of a beater. Speakers were blown out which was a bummer for long road trips, among other malfunctions...

Apex was fantastic, free upgrade on the car, great customer service in general. The only time I've ever been met at the airport by someone holding a sign with my name! Quite unexpected.

Apollo was absolutely abyssmal. They didn't tell us up front that they wouldn't accept the rental car insurance provided by our credit card, and insisted on taking out a $2000 (!) bond from our card in case we damaged the car. The assistants were incompetent, and picking up the car was a 45 minute ordeal. They tried to charge us for a star in the windshield, which we couldn't see when we picked it up because it was covered with beads of water. On top of everything, we lost our PDA at their office and we believe someone pocketed it.

Hopefully they have Apex in Welly, I totally recommend them.

Yes we do have Apex in Wellington and we have a couple of other similar companies operating in Wellington.

An MPV typically costs from NZD$75-90 per day up to a maximum of $150 (plus insurance upgrade).

Shawn

thanks for the replies - have tried them all, but I just can't seem to find anyone who will drop the car off with us at the bach in Korokoro - does anyone know of any other companies that might do this?

cheers

Default rentals

hi,

we used gorentals - http://gorentals.co.nz/ - who we found to be the cheapest rental firm and with pretty good service - they do deliver 'within city limits' but if you called them up and asked them nicely they'd probably do it for a fee

Try Pegasus Rentals in Martin Square -- they did bring my car to me when I first landed in Wellington, coincidentally, to my rental bach in Korokoro. I don't know if that was outside their standard procedure or not, I just asked and they said yes, they could do it. Didn't charge any extra for delivery. Good luck --

Sarah