Thread: credit card

Question credit card

Hi,
    We will be flying out to NZ on Aug 1st, (have wtr visa's), have opened an account with NZ bank, question, does anyone know if i can apply for a credit card before i leave UK or do i wait until i arrive in Gods own!

It seems to depend on the bank. We found Kiwibank very helpful to open the account (from UK) but extremely inflexible on rule about being here 6 months before getting a credit card. Other poeple have had better experiences! BNZ and ASB have been far better to deal with!

Gil

I opened a Westpac cheque acc from overseas, transferred money into it. I was offered a credit card on arrival in Auckland. Took 10 days to arrive in the mail. I was on a work permit. Westpac were excellent! www.westpac.co.nz go to MOVING TO NZ section

ASB told us at least three months, having said that we weren't working when we arrived, if you have regular cash going in they will probably be OK.

We set up ASB account from the UK (migrant banking section) and got EFTPOS card on arrival and credit cards within the first week.

Ian

It's been my experience that Banks in NZ prefer to issue credit cards to their own account holders, I applied for some cards and was approved by the Banks where I had an account and declined by the others, had I known this in the beginning I wouldn't have even applied to those other banks, it seems that simply being declined for credit is considered adverse on your credit history in NZ.

American express offers cards in NZ and is affiliated with the Automobile Association and one of the banks, since they don't offer deposit accounts, not banking with them isn't an issue.

I'm surprised to hear someone got a credit card while on a work permit, I thought the banks wouldn't approve anyone that didn't have PR or citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by constablechuck View Post
    I'm surprised to hear someone got a credit card while on a work permit, I thought the banks wouldn't approve anyone that didn't have PR or citizenship.
    We are here on a LTBV so no PR or citizenship and got credit cards within a week or so of arrival. As was mentioned before Westpac did a great job for us as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    We set up ASB account from the UK (migrant banking section) and got EFTPOS card on arrival and credit cards within the first week.

Ian
    Snap, hubby got one too, no probs, but he was starting work the next week, and had his contract to show them.

HI

We came over on 1 year work visas in April. We had opened a bank account with National Bank before coming over.
    At the first meeting to show identification, we asked whether we were eligible for credit cards, as i wasnt working at this point, and was told yes - they arrived within five or so days. We had a limit of $5000, which can be uplifted in 6 months but the % rate is crazy - 16.9 so we try not to spend too much!! but at least its there.
    One thing we have found out here is that you cant get credit ie a storecard or apply for anything on finance unless we pay it back within the time of our visa. But, on the other hand we have got a car on finance and just bought a house - so suppose have to go with the flow!

Sharon

I opened a Westpac (migrant) account and told them I needed it activated so I could make NZ$ purchases online before arriving. I moved money into the account, sent certified copies of our passports (this is the key) and it was changed to a regular account (with fees). I was then sent an "invitation to apply" for a credit card. They even sent the card to Jersey so it was in my hand to money in Auckland airport on arrival.

David.