Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ electrical plugs - recomendation

Default NZ electrical plugs - recomendation

Several people have written that NZ plugs are fiddly to wire, but there are different brands. Here's a photo of 2 different versions of the common "side entry".

On the left is the brand "Elto" as sold in supermarkets and DIY sheds. This is indeed very fiddly - specifically it's very difficult to get the wire to stay under the plate as you tighten the screw. The best tip here is to insert the wire in the same direction as the screw tightening action and keep it close to the screw.

On the right is the "PDL" version (black or white) that is available from Mastertrade and other electrical suppliers. With these you simply twist braids at the end of the wire, stick it in the hole and tighten the screw on the side - easy. A bit more expensive but you'll find them quicker and I think safer to wire.

Note these are 10Amp plugs. No fuse is used as there are circuit breakers and earth leakage trips on the distribution board.

Brilliant info, thanks for that.

You'll find that you can buy 6 Elto brand plugs for 1 PDL or HPM plug. IMO PDL and HPM are really charging a premium when all the components are made in China.

As long as they meet NZ safety codes, who cares how fiddly they are...

How about some decent light switches that don't go TICK TOCK? The silent big swivel switches in America are far easier to use and more positive to the hand than the using the tips of your finger to flick switches.

Even as an Electrician myself it amazes me that plugs dont have fuses in, as all countries (UK Inc) have breakers and trips etc at the fuseboards, but an extra fuse within the plugs help for convience of not tripping a circuit out.

Oh well, these things i need to get used to if i am to work here as a sparky!

Bumpffslam - what an excellent post...................

When we first arrived here in NZ, my hubby tried to change a plug for me on my hairdryer.

After the obligatory time allocated to the male of the species that 'Will Not Be Beaten' had passed, he promptly cursed, threw it in the bin, went out and bought the PDL's.

Good advice Bumpffslam.

When you first arrive, things are stressful enough without being made to feel a complete numpty 'cos you can't change a plug !!

Julie

xx

Hi guys just to confirm :

You can purchase and fit your own plugs in NZ?

Had a visit from a Removal Company and were told that unless you had proof as an electrical tradesmen you could not purchase plugs !

This appears duff information please advise

with thanks

As you can see from the messages, you can purchase plugs everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by thirtysomethings View Post
    Hi guys just to confirm :

You can purchase and fit your own plugs in NZ?

Had a visit from a Removal Company and were told that unless you had proof as an electrical tradesmen you could not purchase plugs !

This appears duff information please advise

with thanks

Yes, of course you can change your own plugs, however, having said that when we went to buy some, we asked an assistant in the DIY store where we would find them and he took us to the wall sockets..........maybe a loss in translation eh??

Julie

xx

Absolutely you can change your own plugs. If I can do it then anyone can.

Splendid thanks for clearing that up

I was somewhat perplexed but the removals consultant was adamant !

Now Im wondering whether I can source some in the UK
    Buy some extensions with extra sockets and get myself sorted prior to removals

If and when we get the green light and get over to NZ my priority will be the corkscrew to open the wine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast