Thread: Keeping PR outside of NZ

Default Keeping PR outside of NZ

Hello everyone,

I have a question to ask regarding PR.

When you apply and receive PR from within this country and then want to leave NZ and go to another country for 2-5 years will your PR still be valid?

How does that work and what do you need to do to keep it valid when you leave NZ.

thanks,

Your residence permit is not affected by leaving NZ, though if you do not have your IRRV Visa (have had PR for less than 2 years and/or still have your RRV Visa) you will not have a valid visa to enter NZ after leaving the country.

How long have you had PR in NZ?

Shawn

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Dont have PR yet but in the process, PR app went in now we just waiting. Say we get it how long do you need to have PR and be in NZ before you can leave but then say you return in 10years time still needs to be valid.

cheers,

I think you need to be in NZ for 6 months out of EACH of the next 2 years after gaining PR, then apply for your IRRV, which will give you freedom to come and go....I could have this askew, hope someone confirms!
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve View Post
    I think you need to be in NZ for 6 months out of EACH of the next 2 years after gaining PR, then apply for your IRRV, which will give you freedom to come and go....I could have this askew, hope someone confirms!
    Ana
    You have to fulfil at least one of five conditions to get IRRV.

1) Time spent in New Zealand - 184 days or more in each of the 2 years immediately preceding your RRV application
    2) Tax Status - 41 days or more in each of the 2 years immediately preceding your RRV application, and you hold tax residence status for the two years
    preceding your RRV application
    3) Investment in New Zealand - you've come in under the Investor Category and maintained an investment of NZ$1,000,000 in New Zealand for two years.
    4) Business in New Zealand - If you have successfully established a business in New Zealand for at least a year
    5) Established base in New Zealand -
    a) been resident for at least 41 days in the year immediately before lodging your RRV application
    b) all members of your immediate family included in your residence application have lived in New Zealand for a total of at least 184 days in the two year period immediately before lodging your RRV application
    c) you own, live in and maintain a family home in New Zealand (which you bought within 12 months of emigrating) or you have been genuinely employed full time in New Zealand, in paid employment, for a total of at least 9 months in the two year period immediately before lodging your RRV application.

There are alternative 12 month, 14 day and special dispensation RRVs if you don't meet these conditions

Full details here

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...7FA/0/1005.pdf

Remember you can delay the 'Blue Stickers' being issued for 6 months, then another year before activating your residency visa (that needs a trip to NZ), and another 2 years after that to settle (3.5 years in total).

Quote Originally Posted by eternalkiwi View Post
    Your residence permit is not affected by leaving NZ, though if you do not have your IRRV Visa (have had PR for less than 2 years and/or still have your RRV Visa) you will not have a valid visa to enter NZ after leaving the country.

How long have you had PR in NZ?

Shawn
    PR Permit expires when you leave NZ. Then it's the Visa to activate new one.

Scoob

Ok so say i have PR and stay in NZ for 1ste year and half and then leave will i be cool to return in say for example 10 years later?

Quote Originally Posted by wcoetsee View Post
    Ok so say i have PR and stay in NZ for 1ste year and half and then leave will i be cool to return in say for example 10 years later?
    I would almost guarantee that they will NOT give a visa to get back into the country after being out for 10 years. You've got 2 years to go in and out of the country however many times you want. After that 2 year window, you will need to meet certain conditions to be allowed back into the country. BEFORE you leave the country you will need to get a return visa. Whether you can get the return visa is determined by whether you meet the conditions that other posters have mentioned.

If you really think that you will be out of the country for as long as a couple years, and that you are not going to be in the country very long to start with, I really don't think the PR route is a good solution for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wcoetsee View Post
    Yes, if you have an Indefinite Returning Residents Visa in your passport, you should be able to return after 10 years. NZIS would not need to grant you a new visa after the 10 years, because you would already have an unexpired visa - the IRRV - in your passport. (But of course you must qualify for and receive the IRRV - as in Croft's post above - before leaving for that long.)

The NZIS site says this in their online help section on this page:
    Will I lose my NZ residence status if I travel abroad?

As long as you have a valid Returning Residents Visa (RRV) in your passport when you return to NZ, your residence status will not be affected.
    If you have an Indefinite RRV in your passport, you may return to NZ at any time and continue your residence here.
    Last edited by jess; 30th June 2007 at 09:14 AM.