Thread: Dog quarantine and crate concerns

Question Dog quarantine and crate concerns

We were hoping to leave in early November for Christchurch, but we just found out that we cannot reserve a spot in the Christchurch quarantine till at least January. All the other Kennels on the North Island have vacancies at this time. Has anyone put their dogs in quarantine in one of these kennels? It would mean we could not visit him so has that been as issue for anyone? We are trying to decide whether it would be best to wait till we can get him into the Christchurch kennel. One last question concerning crates: What did you use at the bottom of the crate in case they go to the bathroom? Did anyone use the Giant size crate as we are not sure X-large will be big enough for our dog (a Lab)? He fits but there is not a lot of room. There is also the problem that it is tougher to ship this size crate from the States to Christchurch. Any comments and help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Barry

PM Jen about Shado Lans (I think it's called...) outside Welly. Their dogs just loved it.

Hi there,

A Juniper said, we used Shado-lans in Levin (north of Wellington) and they are WONDERFUL. I can't recommend them enough. The owners were very responsive to our emailed questions before we left the States, and when we visited the dogs in quarantine we could tell our dogs really liked them

We visited twice during the quarantine period - they said some people visit every day and some people never visit, so I guess it's up to you how you feel about not getting to visit. Have you thought about how to get them to Christchurch once quarantine is over? Just wondering if there's an extra cost to fly them down to you later (I have no idea, though).

Believe it or not, everything we read said that no matter how long the trip, a dog will not go to the bathroom in its crate! I don't know if that's true, but that's what we were told/read. We didn't put anything in our younger dog's crate since he would have just chewed it to shreds and we got a dog bed that fit the older dog's crate to keep his old bones comfortable.

The crate has to be big enough that the dog can stand up and turn around in the crate, even if just barely. Our younger dog (the one the right in the picture) is a 70 pound border collie x aussie shepherd and he fit in an "extra large" crate if that helps.

Anyway, there are quite a few people on the forum that have successfully shipped their dogs from the states/canada - hopefully they'll be along with more info. for you.

Good luck!

Jen

I heard nothing but good things about Shado-Lans, and I've e-mailed with them and they were friendly, prompt, and efficient.
    I think our pet transport people simply recommended an absorbent material for the crate. I've thought of newspaper and old towels, but I think I'm just going to buy "wee pads" from Petco.
    A dog will soil his/her small environment if he/she is scared, overstressed, or resentful, so I think the absorbent bedding is highly recommended.
    Hope everything works out OK!
    Ana

We are coming from the states to North Island in September with four cats (yes, four--two for OH and me and two for my adult daughters--a small fortune but they are family, too!!).

We also plan to use Shado-Lans. At the suggestion of another member, we bought some of those absorbant pads like you put under patients in the hospital (you can get these at Wal-mart or Rite Aid, etc.). These will line the bottom of the crate, and we'll put a bit of some large shredded newspaper overtop of that.

I also got a cozy little kittie bed and put in my crates so the cats will be a little elevated from this absorbant pad just in case they do "wee wee." Cats are super picky about resting in proximity to where they do their stuff--maybe all animals are. I don't know if there's room in your doggie crate for any kind of folded blanket or doggie bed (cheapo kind you get at Target, for example) but OH and I already have our crates out in my house with said kitty beds inside...this way my boys are able to get used to going in and out of the crate (door is left off for now) and they sometimes even sleep in the little beds inside! I think they'll be better adjusted to travel in this thing if it smells like them and is not "new."

Jess on the forum, who in my opinion should be nominated as goddess of the universe , also suggested putting a garment you have worn in the crate just before shipping so that your animal will have something to comfort it that smells like you (she also recommended Shado-Lans to us).

I don't know if this will comfort my cats, but it will sure comfort me knowing I've done all I can!

And I do know that Shado-lans will visit/play with your pet every day whether you are there or not! They will not neglect an animal in any way! So, yay! They are even going to let our cats bunk two to a room because each pair we have are buddies.

Christine

Default quarantine in Auckland

We are arriving from Canada at the end of September and will be keeping our 3 dogs in Pethaven in Auckland. I don't think I've actually been in touch with any owners who have used them....but they have been excellent so far in terms of contact and answering any of my questions. They also sent me a slide show of their facility....which included a picture of a husky (just like ours) staying there!

So if you don't want to fly them any further past Auckland....this might be a good option for you as well. We don't plan to spend too many days visiting them....I think that would be more difficult on us then on them....and may go by faster if we just try to distract ourselves and use the time to get settled and organized.

Good luck.

Thumbs up Dog quarantine and crate concerns

Thank you for all of your help. It really helps hearing from those who have probably gone through the same thought process as we are now going through.

Barrry

Howie spent 30 days in Qualified in Auckland last year. I visited him everyday, and yes it was hard on me, but I think it made it easier on him. I'm not sure if the staff play with the dogs there. They have indoor outdoor runs, but they are all concrete. I brought some toys for him and taught him new tricks to occupy his mind when I visited.
    I put a blanket in his crate. One that I was OK with him chewing but I knew he wouldn't actually eat.
    Let us know what you decide.
    Susan

I have inspected both Qualified and Pethaven just outside of Auckland. If you are thinking of quarantining your pet in Auckland, I would definitely reccommend Pethaven over Qualified. Pethaven is very new and small (10 dogs i believe) and their kennels have wire on the outside walls so the dogs can at least see greenery birds etc, and possibly an occassional sheep or cow in a pasture . Qualified has concrete walls, so the feeling of enclosure is much more and there are about 40 dogs there. On the day I visited, it was nearly full and as soon as we opened the gate to the kennel area all of the dogs started barking and howling. it was a deafening noise which I was told is common there. Pethaven has much more of a "family run" feel to it. both have websites so you can search them and have a look.