Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House prices - huge differences! Why?

Default House prices - huge differences! Why?

Hello, I'm new and also have questions for anybody that can answer. I'm coming to the end of my nursing degree and have decided to move to NZ. I have noticed huge differences in house prices throughout south land. I have noticed that houses in Invercargill, for instance, can vary greatly from $50,000 to $350,000. I was wondering why? I know that the housing prices vary depending on area etc but some of the houses don't differ greatly in size or quality. I have two boys 8 and 7 years and obviously want to take them to a fairly decent area. I've been looking at Riverton (which seems very nice) but also seems quite built up. I am starting to notice that certain areas are a bit... rough (?) Any area advice for a will-be newby qualified nurse, with two young boys, close to the beach but with added benefit of rural landscapes, good quality for little money housing??
    Also.... the questions never end lol, why do most properties have corrugated steel roofs instead of tiles??
    I am intending to come to NZ next year for serious research on housing and areas but will probably continue to look in south island.
    TY Liz and gang

I don't know the first thing about Invercargill, I'm afraid, but when we looked at houseprices in Auckland, being in a zone for a decent school could influence the houseprice considerably.

You can potentially have two houses next to each other, same size, same area, same everything, but if one of them still falls within the catchment area and the other doesn't, they will have very different price tags.

It's probably not the same in Invercargill, though

Daniela

So much to consider. Schooling is definately a huge issue, is the system similar to the UK with league tables which are available for public viewing? I am avoiding aukland because of the huuuuge population, so i wonder whether it is the same in south island? I may seem ignorant, but don't mean to.... am just a total and utter novice in this emigrating marlarky!!
    Thanks Liz x

Sorry I don't know about Invercargill either, but some of the difference you're seeing in real estate prices may not be only about good and bad areas... There is a house for sale here two doors down from mine, and although it has one less bedroom and no yard they want almost twice what I paid for my house a few months ago. But my house is a renovated older home that had unfinished closets, an ancient bath tub and some shabby carpet in a few rooms when it was on the market. Things we needed to spruce up. As is common, it was not well insulated. The house two doors down, on the other hand, is brand new with really high ceilings, built in electrical gadgets for stereo and such, some gorgeous expensive looking kitchen counter (bench) and lots of insulation. Probably double glazing.

There's a thread on the materials used to build NZ housing here.

Invercargill? Ahhh my home town

The reason Invercargill is cheaper is that pretty much everywhere else is because it's further south than everywhere else and doesn't enjoy as high temperatures, and tends to feel the brunt of most of the southerly winds off Antarctica.

It's also not "on the way" anywhere so that it doesn't even enjoy the passing traffic of some of the less popular North Island spots.

However, for 50,000 it's a wonderful place to live - and I'm planning to go back after 10 years in the UK.

The more expensive areas of Invercargill are Richmond, Windsor, Gladstone, Otatara and Grassmere - it tends to be the closer to the city centre, the more pricy.

South Invercargill has a bit of a stigma of being the "poorer" area as this is the oldest area of the city and people "moved on up north", but I think as the years go by, this stigma eases. You'll find houses down Kew, Kingswell and Clifton are among the cheapests on Trade Me. Anything below £150k is marginal quality. Still, you're only about 10-15 mins drive from the city centre in those places and traffic is no where near as heavy as it is in Christchurch and Dunedin (let alone the north island)

Riverton is a place you'll either love or hate. There's a very stretched out road into it along the coast and it has a lot of holiday homes as it's very beach-centric. It's only got about 2,000 permanent residents and a fair Maori population. It's not as industrial as Bluff (on other side of Invercargill and sort of similar) but has a fishing industry and a paua (abalone) factory that attracts tourists.

If you've never been to NZ before, I'd come for a look at Invercargill and Riverton before you make any big decisions. Most people who head down here have either a) a job offer they can't refuse or b) friends and family - katandbob from the forum planned to settle in Chch but arrived, drove south and finally settled just outside Invercargill, but that's a bit rare.

Oh, and iron roof was about all you could get in NZ before 1950s. Steel is more popular now and tiles are still pretty rare. It's purely down to availability. It costs a lot in shipping to get stuff to NZ which isn't a product of local industry and house building in NZ tends to err on the cheaper side.

I miss hear rain on an iron roof - but I think they may be an acquired taste.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask

Amy

Liz does it have to be South Island? We live in Hawke's Bay and there is cheap housing in places round here. You also have the added benefit of some of the best weather in NZ! If you are a nurse you are in the fortunate position that you have a much greater choice where you settle.

Both myself and OH love Invercargill! Although it is a city it is only about the size of Abergavenny or may even make it to Brecon size. My dad lives in Grassmere and, compared to other places in NZ, you still get quite alot for your money on the houses, especially compared to here in the UK. According to one estate agent we spoke to when we were out there, the house prices also fluctuate depending on which side of the river and railway track they are on.

Riverton is lovely and, as Wiki said, very stretched out. We visited a few times and alot of the properties seemed to be holiday rentals but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumbs up

Hi I have added a bit to Amys post - We have been in Invercargill a year and I think its a great place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by wiki View Post
    Invercargill? Ahhh my home town

The reason Invercargill is cheaper is that pretty much everywhere else is because it's further south than everywhere else and doesn't enjoy as high temperatures, and tends to feel the brunt of most of the southerly winds off Antarctica.
    Funny thing that wind - the other day I was feeding the chooks in my jumper at 7am - at 8am I got to work (top of Herbert St & Racecourse Rd) - and it was covered in frost and the pond iced over!
    It's also not "on the way" anywhere so that it doesn't even enjoy the passing traffic of some of the less popular North Island spots.Well they do come to see the sign - or go to Stuart Island (looked spectacular this morning with a bit of snow dusted on the top) I see the camper vans passing quite regularly

However, for 50,000 it's a wonderful place to live - and I'm planning to go back after 10 years in the UK. the ones that are $50,000 are usually "dooerupers" or in a bit of a run down area (you definately need to check out areas when looking at houses) - but move out of town a few Kms and you can get a LSB for $260 with 4 acres - its all about location and the condition of the house

The more expensive areas of Invercargill are Richmond, Windsor, Gladstone, Otatara and Grassmere - it tends to be the closer to the city centre, the more pricy. - SOME are priced over a Million!!!!!

South Invercargill has a bit of a stigma of being the "poorer" area as this is the oldest area of the city and people "moved on up north", but I think as the years go by, this stigma eases.

South City is being snapped up by sharp youngsters who are doing them up and selling them on -or renting them outYou'll find houses down Kew, Kingswell and Clifton Clifton is having problems with the smell from the sewage treatment plant - and apparantly our rates are now going up 9.5% instead of 8.25% to combat this problem, But the problems are caused by the commercial district - the Wool scourers and the Meat processing factory - but the residents of Clifton are up in arms about itare among the cheapests on Trade Me. Anything below £150k is marginal quality. Still, you're only about 10-15 mins drive from the city centre in those places and traffic is no where near as heavy as it is in Christchurch and Dunedin (let alone the north island)
    Herbert St, St Andrews St and the area around Windsor is popular, and the subdivisions are there to prove it!

I like that Invercargill has verge, trees, borders and Masses of Playgrounds and Parks ALL around the city, South City is on its way up and the bare sections have been snapped up and 3 town houses built on what was one section... not my cup of tea
    Riverton is a place you'll either love or hate. There's a very stretched out road into it along the coast and it has a lot of holiday homes as it's very beach-centric. It's only got about 2,000 permanent residents and a fair Maori population. It's not as industrial as BluffThere are houses even in Bluff that are up for sale for $400,000+(on other side of Invercargill and sort of similar) but has a fishing industry and a paua (abalone) factory that attracts tourists. Riverton has no hospital (if your a nurse - the hospital is in South City - AND IS VERY GOOD!!!! I have had to visit it 3 times now with Jason and each time we have been out in 20 mins to 30 mins - the other day he had to have a blood test, I sat down to read an interesting article - I Read 5 lines before he was out and finished! It is CLEAN, the staff are polite and smile, its BRIGHT SPACIOUS and a nurse said that patients complained if they had to wait an hour !! I said send them to the UK nhs and they won't complain again!LOLany way back to Riverton - its not BIG! but it seems to be in 2 parts - with the river separating it has a cafe near the beach, (V Good one - but its small & you have to be quick to get a table at lunch in the summer) Part of the town is a bit run down, then the houses near the beaches are expensive, it would take you 45minutes to an hour to commute to work at the Hospital - but I know people work in Ingil and live in Riverton - but as Amy said - its mostly Batches and tourists

If you've never been to NZ before, I'd come for a look at Invercargill and Riverton before you make any big decisions. Good advice, don't take anyones word on any area of NZ as its YOUR view of NZ that is important and everyones view is differentMost people who head down here have either a) a job offer they can't refuse or b) friends and family - katandbob from the forum planned to settle in Chch but arrived, thought YUCK its TOO BIG!"drove south and finally settled just outside Invercargill, but that's a bit rare. Yup we like to Buck the trend LOL But We can't say that the weather here is any worse than NE Lincs (which was under water last week! - Summer????????????????)

Oh, and iron roof was about all you could get in NZ before 1950s. Steel is more popular now and tiles are still pretty rare. It's purely down to availability. It costs a lot in shipping to get stuff to NZ which isn't a product of local industry and house building in NZ tends to err on the cheaper side. I have seen more Brick and Roughcast homes with either Tiled or coloursteel roofs around Invercargill than in other parts of NZ, and our neighbour says that in a survey they did a few yrs back - Our part of NZ is the safest! least likely for earthquakes... we did get a twister in Invercargill the other week - but nothing like in the Nth Island the other day!

I miss hear rain on an iron roof - but I think they may be an acquired taste.Its something that becomes normal - and I quite like it

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask

Amy
    - Hope that gives you a bit more info.....Invercargill has lots to offer people but as the locals tend to say - we try to keep it to ourselves...........

Kat

Consider Hawkes Bay Liz, you can lifestyle properties with acreage, 45 mins from Hawkes Bay hospital for well under $300K (and plenty for a little more closer) and you get some of the very best weather and beautiful beaches in NZ here too

Default Any Logic?

Also.... the questions never end lol, why do most properties have corrugated steel roofs instead of tiles??
    I am intending to come to NZ next year for serious research on housing and areas but will probably continue to look in south island.
    Newer housing with corrugated steel roof are used simply for maintenance reasons. Older tiled roofs require regular de-mossing where as on steel, moss and algae tends not to grow. However coming from Canada, I personally don't care for neither roofing materials. Both materials can not be classed as insulative, especially steel which is quite 'conductive'.

I've never understood why houses on 1 side of the street would add an extra $100,000 more than the other side - purely because families on that side could send their kids to a specific school.

Really, is the quality of public education that different among schools? By living on the cheaper side, the savings could be spent on sending your kids to private school.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast