Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: auckland south shore - remuera etc

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by toots
    Howick is a good area. Check out the area around Botany Town Centre - Dannemora, Point View etc.
    Get a LIM (land information memorandum) report from the Manukau City Council if you're looking at property in that area, as there is/was a lot of asbestos waste buried around there before the land was developed. It was mostly in the form of pipes, roofing waste, etc, not pure asbestos, but it affected/affects a lot of properties. Can't remember what the outcome of the whole saga was now, as it all 'blew up' about 8 years ago.

Anyway, check with the council.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannaway
    It does seem very expensive there, compared to a number of other burbs which are just as close, or at least not much further, from the centre. There are some impressive properties in Remuera, but you are talking $1m+ starter price. You will also find a lot of houses being described as "in Remuera", when they are not, usually this means that they are in Ellerslie or Meadowbank. The "R" name adds something to the property (probably another $50k+!).
    The so-called Grammar zone, which is centred on Remuera probably adds about 200k to the price of a property. Reason is many of the highest performing schools (such as Auckland Grammar) are in that area, and the zoning is very strict. Whether the schools are actually high performing or just benefit from their selection policies is another story.
    The Govt plans a new school in the area as well, which it may surprise you many people are against, as it will mean the zone boundaries are redrawn and their property will fall out of the Grammar zone (with 200k cost).

Yes.apparently that happened with the boundaries for Rangitoto College at some stage. They were re-drawn a while ago and it caused all sorts of problems for home owners. It's something to consider., although I don't know how you can possibly cover every eventuality! I just hope they don't do it again now I'm in the current zone!!!

its all a bit of a maze.

we were going to spend a month getting to nz then bung daught into school, but it begins to sound like she might have to spend more time on the ground just hacking around and visiting schools etc. suppose its not such a big deal as she will need to have a decent break or go through school without one for 1.5 years. i was hoping schools would be less like this than uk - one thing they appear to have in common. its all a bit juvenile...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12