Thread: health checks

Default health checks

Hi,
    I was just wondering what medical conditions can cause a problem for a PR application? I have minor medical conditions and just wondered if they would cause a problem (asthma/allergies/minor blood pressure problem) Or if they are looking for more specific things like major diseases etc??

Any info appreciated
    Cheers
    Nick

Nick

I don't think that anything 'minor' should cause too much of a problem.

Our eldest son has mild asthma, he's allergic to just about everything too. Both of these points were discussed at our medical but no notes were made. They certainly weren't an issue for us.

Hope this helps.

Diny

Hi Nick,
    That's a good question. I am worried about "minor medical issues," too, since I have hypothyroidism. (My EOI has been selected but I am now waiting for verification.) The NZ Marketing Director in the US told me that he could not give me a definitive answer but he thought they were only concerned with major issues that would be a drain on the NZ health system. If anyone has more info, I'd love to hear it.

By the way, I'm curious what the health examine is like. Does the doctor just chat with you or does he do blood tests, urine tests, EKG, etc.?

Hi,

I have search this site regarding medical issues.

www.immigration.govt.nz/medicalhandbook

Our meds consisted of a Q&A with doctor (family history, heart conditions, mental health, how much do you drink/smoke that sort of thing). You have to do bloods and urine but, if you have a fairly clean medical record, you should be OK. You also have to have X-rays to check for TB. They are really just looking for any long term serious conditions that, as someone mentions previously, could be considered a long term drain on health resources. Minor onditions, or anything controllable with OTC drugs should not be a problem. You may also to check whether your vaccinations are up to date, Hepatitis B, Tetanus and a couple of others.

Kids under 5 should not need bloods, babies should not need to give a urine sample.

Lee