Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telephone & Internet

Question Telephone & Internet

Hi folks,

I'm hopefully going to be moving into a rental property in Auckland in the next week or so. We're planning to rent for 3-6 months before buying, so this is not going to be a long-term place.

I've been reading various threads on phone & broadband suppliers and the general impression I'm getting is to avoid Telecom! However, given that I'm likely to be moving within the year and I want to get set up quickly, what are my realistic options?

If I go for one of the other suppliers (e.g. TelstraClear, Infogen) will they be able to get my phoneline and broadband working quickly, and am I likely to have issues if I move within the first year?

Cheers,

Martin

if getting a reasonable service quickly is important then www.woosh.co.nz is probably the fastest to get as it is a wireless solution - no fixed phone line needed
    the speeds though are not as fast as fixed line solutions (around 1.5mb download/40kb upload) so if speed (ie skype/webcam) is important then somebody else will be able to advise

Woosh is fine for Skype thogh, I use them and Skype all my mates in Europe and the US with no problems.
    I recommend them - you just need to be in a decent coverage area.

According to the Woosh website I'm not in coverage at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mgbridges View Post
    According to the Woosh website I'm not in coverage at all.
    Blimey - where in Auckland are you? Their coverage is pretty comprehensive around the city.

Erm, what else to suggest for you... Telstraclear are OK - but they tie you in to a minimum term contract, and you'd obviously have to continue paying that when you move, which may not have coverage...

You may be better off biting the bullet and getting a Telecom line and using an ISP like Maxnet.

Hi there. We're with Xnet (www.xnet.co.nz). We use Telecom for the landline and then the broadband runs through that, like most of the other companies.

It only took Xnet a couple of days to turn on the connection, which also required Telecom to flick a switch in the exchange, but as our exhange (I was told) is a new digital one, or something, it didn't take long.

I went with them as your not tied in to a contract (you can cancel at any time paying up to the end of the month, but you do have to pay for your own modem); you can set a limit on your usage (either cost or bandwidth) thereafter they trottle you back to 64k; and so far it has been excellent. They also have a usage monitor to tell you how much you've used and you only pay for what you use. It's no different to the service that we had in the UK and it quashed any fears I had about NZ broadband.

I found that the trouble is with the ones with the free connection and who throw in a modem they tie you in to a contract.

Good luck.
    Last edited by The Hodges; 12th July 2007 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Additional info inserted...

Orcon, best with the least amount of BS, by far. Also, you can only avoid Telecom so much and when you do, you may be locked in to using another provider's network for internet duties. Get the Telecom homeline, find a suitable DSL plan, and boost your daily tcom hate like the rest of us.

It is quite possible to avoid Telecom completely - we have. (Admittedly the options vary geographically quite a bit.) I'm a much happier boy as a result.

Avoid Telstraclear like the plague.

We moved from Telstraclear to Telecom as part of a move from one rental to another.

Telecom said they would manage the move.

They failed to inform Telstraclear, so Telstraclear kept debiting our bank account.

We left the installed equipment in the original house as we had no use for it. Now we have recieved a bill for over $1000 from TelstraClear.

Even though TelstraClear install the equipment, they say you have to dismantle it and return it.

On a week-end it can take over five hours to get through to the Telstraclear call centre.

Telstraclear is now threating legal action, and I am looking forward to the challenge.

I have offered a mediation meeting between TelstraClear and Telcom, but as yet they have not responded.

Based on my experience with this, and other experiences with Gas and Electricy suppliers - be careful!

A Direct debit mandate in NZ is a free mandate to rob your wallet.

Rabbit

I thought I'd just update you all on my choices and how its worked out so far.

I decided to go with Telecom for the phone line as it just seemed to be the simplest solution. Signed up over the web and it all went very smoothly. I gave them about a week's notice and the phone was enabled ready for me to move in. So far so good.

Based on The Hodges recommendation I went with Xnet for broadband, because they don't insist on a long term contract. I picked up an ADSL modem on TradeMe for $26 and signed up with Xnet via their website. They needed a prompting phonecall to get things going but they basically got the ADSL enabled in 24 hours. It's working fine so far. I'll run a speedtest later but it seems quick enough.

So all in all it has worked smoothly so far. Thanks to all for your advice.

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast