Thread: Any midwives in Christchurch?

Smile Any midwives in Christchurch?

Hi,
    Just wondering if there are any midwives who work in Christchurch, it would be nice to chat! I have a job waiting for me in the womens hospital. I'm waiting for my registration to come through before we can submit our ITA.
    Hoping to get to New Zealand September time,
    Ruth

PM you

Default uk student midwife

Hi there, im a student midwife in the uk. not going to be able to help with your question but im hoping you can help me. i am emigrating to nz in april next year once im qualified. i was under the impression i had to wait for my reg number before being able to apply for a job.. how did you get around that? what's the process and who do i need to get in touch with. visa is all sorted already as im emigrating with my parents. i hope you can help me! thanks. Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by andbarrel View Post
    Hi there, im a student midwife in the uk. not going to be able to help with your question but im hoping you can help me. i am emigrating to nz in april next year once im qualified. i was under the impression i had to wait for my reg number before being able to apply for a job.. how did you get around that? what's the process and who do i need to get in touch with. visa is all sorted already as im emigrating with my parents. i hope you can help me! thanks. Rachel
    Hi, you will need to apply to the midwifery council of NZ they have a good web site where you can download the application pack. I am still waiting for my registration from them, it is a bit of a nightmare they want blood!! You will need your NMC registration through before applying. Be ready for more essay writing as you have to do self assessment competencies for every aspect of your midwifery I ended up writing 6000 words! Apply for your police check form in good time as it takes about 5 weeks. I have a job offer subject to getting my registration, I applied for a job as soon as we'd made the decision as a job was crucial to the whole process! Unfortunately the registration process takes ages and they only sit once a month to make decisions. Hope thats helpful, feel free to ask any other questions, Ruth

Default midwife coming to Christchurch 2009

Hi

Just wondered how you are getting on and if it has all turned out well for you. I am hoping to come over early next year to hopefully a far better work situation than currently in the NHS. Would be really interested in hearing how you got on with your registration with the NZ midwifery council and also what the differences are between UK practice and Nz midwifery. Are you able to work part/time? What is the midwife/woman ratio? What are the rates of pay? How easily did you integrate and was any extra study required?

One problem seems to be the length of time to get the registration and the amount of information required. Any tips on this as I do not have documentary proof for all my experiences?
    Also which is a suitable area to live in for the Christchurch womens hospital?

I look forward to hearing from you and hope we can touch base when I eventually arrive!

Kind regards

Ali

Default midwives

hi ali

i am not in nz but i am a mw, rgn, hv in uk. registration for nz is frustrating. more so if you are rgn and mw as two seperate councils! re evidence of experience, you can read my comments recently about chasing up uni, human resources etc, driving me mad! you can get anyone who you have worked with to write on heade note paper that you worked at a place start and finish dates etc. some of my old managers are long gone and human resources salaries only keep records for so long. differs from hospital to hospital though. one of my ex employers from when i first qualified 1989 pulled my records no problem. my emigration agent has also suggested inland revenue asking for national insurance contribution print out and also nhs pensions. for your registration as nurse (not done the midwife bit of mine yet) you need police certificate 1 employment ref 2 character refs and verification form from nmc (£34). it all takes time and i have ended up spending 2 days solid either on phone, drafting letters or telephoning various hospitals. i wrote today about not selling self short if you were rgn before mw as the time spent training as mw can still count to rgn experience as you did mw training on back of rgn registration.

have also read that nznursing council have lost transcripts of courses etc. havent read anywhere that mw council has done same.

good luck