Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: the real christchurch

Default christchurch

Hey,

Swap the mountains for white cliffs and you could be back at home in Dover

Eddie of course you didnt offend. I was 3 when we left here (I think that has a big part to play in humour..if you got out and got your SOH! in the UK say, you will be fine even if you were born here...)
    and Mark I have 3 photos of the street as we drove through rolleston if you want me to email you them...just email me below...and they are yours to use as a dart board!

Ohoka and north loburn and rangi are nice....anything north!!

My parents first house was in avonhead (on the flight path...but hey you cant have everything!!) it is very leafy and has a road called maidstone road so cant be bad. A lot of koreans and Asians like it cos of burnside, cant knock the area..better than a lot of places.

Liz, when you do get to qe2, let us know and we will come too...we live 5 mins walk from the place, have a season ticket!

good luck to you and everyone else trying to find a home that you can call yours and be happy in.

happy 2005,
    nicky

oooooh really worried after reading this as we are renting in rolleston :eek . We have found it ok here, only 10 minutes down the road for husbands work, that was the main reason we chose here. I must say though, that we decided very early on that we would not be buying any property here, but for a rental we are happy to stay here as a starting point, has everything we need and very friendly.
    Joanne

"if you have a fantastic job and you both work full time, money in the bank, you can live the good life. "

I think this has been the biggest eye-opener / myth / misjudgement for me... DH and I areclassic Double Income No Kids Yet (DINKYs) and we are having a ball here in NZ at the moment. Renting a lovely big house at the lakes, bought a couple of kayaks and a very flash mountain bike, planning our summer holiday to the Cook Islands with a couple of long weekends to Hawkes Bay and the Bay of Islands to tide us over to then. We eat and drink very well, which isn't a cheap thing to do here. New-ish car in the garage. Can't deny that we have a very nice life... but it's all going to fall apart if we have children and go down to one income even for a while. There are lots of articles in the papers / magazines here at the mo about how middle class, relatively high earners e.g. teachers, are not able to support a family on a single income any more... and that was of the big attractions of life in NZ for me. And it turns out that we would be just as financially strapped as in the UK - and with no grandparents around to babysit!

It doesn't seem to matter where you live going down from two to one income requires adjustment.

I have to 'fess up.... having discounted Rangiora early on I am being drawn to some lovely properties we have recently seen there...

Just goes to show how one's view changes after living here for a while!

But I'll never change my views on Lyttleton or Timaru!!

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyer
    In reply to your post Annie, a Bar would be the place for us to chill out after going to the Mountains and the lakes. You can't spend all your time walking around mountains and lakes.
    eddie.
    hi freeflyer eddie

yup. i have been to bars more than i have been to mountains and lakes, though, so maybe i'll see you there. will have to do with iced tea, though, i get allergies from alcohol :angel

annie

quote "hi freeflyer eddie

yup. i have been to bars more than i have been to mountains and lakes, though, so maybe i'll see you there. will have to do with iced tea, though, i get allergies from alcohol :angel

annie"[/quote]

I think a lot of us suffer from that Annie....makes us lose our sense of balance and fall over.

i suffer from that too!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345