Thread: Will a UK LCD TV work in NZ ?

Question Will a UK LCD TV work in NZ ?

Sorry if this has alrady been asked but I have done a search and can't find a definitive answer.

I have heard that maybe they won't because of the different tranmission in NZ from the UK ?

I am a bit loathe to buy another 32 inch LCD if I don't have to !

It does have built in DTV tuner (but I cannot use it as where I live in Yorskshire DTV has not arrived yet !).

So I use the normal Aerial and also I use my Sky box.

cheers

This topic has already been convered by various thread but here are the answers anyway.

NZ broadcasts using PAL B/G, the UK uses PAL I, so if you want to be able to watch NZ TV through the arial then you need to check to see if you can select PAL B/G (normally in tuning option).

The DTV tuner will definitely not work in NZ.

If the TV doesn't support PAL B/G then you could connect it via a (NZ compatible) Video Recorder or Sky box etc instead to watch NZ programs, otherwise it can still be used as a second TV to play console games on etc.

Also note that the UK Sky box isn't compatible in NZ.

Ian

it's an LCD it WILL (without fail) have PAL B/G so no worries

Thumbs up

OK nice one - cheers guys.

Looking at the manual it says :

PAL/SECAM/B/G/D/K, PAL I/II/SECAM L/L'

AC100-240V - 50/60Hz

So bit of luck I should be OK.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    The DTV tuner will definitely not work in NZ.

If the TV doesn't support PAL B/G then you could connect it via a (NZ compatible) Video Recorder or Sky box etc instead to watch NZ programs, otherwise it can still be used as a second TV to play console games on etc.

Also note that the UK Sky box isn't compatible in NZ.

Ian
    Just on a slightly different note - I use a Media Centre PC to record TV - this has an analogue TV tuner built in which I connect my Sky box to via svideo for the picture and composite phono leads for the sound.

Am I right in thinking if I got a Sky box in NZ that has similar outputs then it should work OK ?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    it's an LCD it WILL (without fail) have PAL B/G so no worries
    I assume that you are talking about LCD from the UK, then yes I would agree it is very likely that it will support both standards (I don't know this to be a fact though). But if the LCD TV is from the US it may not support PAL at all (just NTSC).

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Just on a slightly different note - I use a Media Centre PC to record TV - this has an analogue TV tuner built in which I connect my Sky box to via svideo for the picture and composite phono leads for the sound.

Am I right in thinking if I got a Sky box in NZ that has similar outputs then it should work OK ?
    If you are connecting via s-video then the analogue TV tuner is not relevant here.

It will all work just the same as how you have got it at the moment.

Sky actually use SCART for their connector which is not as common in NZ as in the UK, so you should be able to use the same leads as well.

Ian

Thumbs up

cool cheers

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    But if the LCD TV is from the US it may not support PAL at all (just NTSC).
    It says right in our LCD TV's manual that it does support PAL (all sorts of different kinds). That may not be true of all LCD TVs in the US though.