Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Decorations

Default Christmas Decorations

Just packing away some of my christmas decorations. Some of which have candles on them. Does anyone know if it is OK to take them over to NZ, they are beeswax candles made ny my Dad who is a bee keeper. What about parifan wax candles and tealights, can I take those with me or should I use them up now.

Nic

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

According to this statement only bee products from certain Pacific nations are allowed into New Zealand. Don't know about the other types of candle, but here's a list of prohibited imports to look at.

Maybe you should try emailing the Customs department about the other candles.

You're turning out to be a cracking little mine of info Beach

So, which beach, NZ, are you near?

Lemme guess, up Orewa way?

^ Thanks!

It helps when you're actually living in New Zealand, I guess! :mrgreen:

Not Orewa, I'm on the Coromandel Peninsula - closer details are verboten!

Thanks Beech Kiwi

The answer appears to be no. I will make sure I do not pack anything by mistake.

But I also noticed in the list childrens toys, does this apply to the toys we are taking over for my 4 year old, such as the usual lego, playmobile, tracy island and bike sort of stuff. I think he would be devistated to leave all of it behind. I would appreciate any views from people that have already done the move. Or does the list apply to people importing toyus to sell.

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

This has me a bit stumped too, as we all know people do take their kids toys to NZ with them. This list says:-

"Children’s nightware, children’s toys, certain pistol crossbows, cots, pedal bicycles, candles containing lead in their wicks, candle wicks, candle wicks containing lead, baby walkers and so on"

"Control the importation of unsafe goods Ministry of Consumer Affairs Fair Trading Act 1986"

I know some kids nightware can be quite flammable, and older toys and cots could contain lead in the paintwork. Other toys can be bought without the BS trade mark, or any trade safety mark. I think baby walkers are banned in some countries (NZ?). Other than that it must, as you say, mean importing in amounts deemed unnecessary with the immigration of a family.

I'm not going to worry too much. For goodness sake ... don't throw away your children's toys!!!

:?

Another point about Christmas decorations... I am pretty sure MAF does not like pine cones.

I've just packed our artificial tree and snipped off all the decorative pine cones.

If I am wrong ... someone say now before anyone else attacks their trees, or throws away decorations with pine cones. ops:

:

I have already passed on to my mum the following christmas deccies as I thought they would not be allowed

The fairy of the top of the tree as it has straw wings
    Pine cones that have been sprayed gold
    some smaller angels that are made of straw
    some stars and a moon shape that are made of twigs

I was not happy to give up the fairy, even contemplated cutting off her wings. But I am sure she will be well looked after by my Mum.

If anyone knows of a shop in Christchurch that sells nice christmas tree fairies, please let me as I will need one next year.

Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Nicola
    But I also noticed in the list childrens toys, does this apply to the toys we are taking over for my 4 year old, such as the usual lego, playmobile, tracy island and bike sort of stuff.
    No, it applies to the importation of such items for retail, or other forms of distribution. However, if they did find something that they didn't like the look of they may want you to surrender it.

Here's another site that deals with importing issues. Make sure you check out the sub categories on each navigation bar as you click through the main categories.

P.S. Those sites I linked to in my other post have a lot more info too, if you check them out in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda
    Another point about Christmas decorations... I am pretty sure MAF does not like pine cones.
    Most plant items are suspect as far as MAF are concerned.

From the site I mentioned above:

Items manufactured from plant products may be carrying either viable seeds or insects. In all cases inspection is required to determine the risk status. Should inspection reveal the presence of seeds or insects treatment will be required, heat treatment for seeds (to destroy viability) and fumigation for insects

Plant products requiring inspection include dried flowers, straw items, wooden artifacts and carvings, corn souvenirs, Christmas decorations containing pinecones, and items made from Cane, Bamboo or Wickerware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast