Thread: Buying a used car in Wellington?

Default Buying a used car in Wellington?

We're likely going to need some cheap, used transportation once we hit the ground, depending on where my wife gets her job. Not looking to buy new yet, I was wondering what there was in terms of options for purchasing.

I've been perusing trademe.co.nz fairly often and there seems to be a decent selection there but what are the other options? Any good used car dealers people can recommend? Auction houses? Would new car dealerships also have used in NZ?

I'm looking for a japanese compact of some sort, something like a civic or a corrolla in all likelyhood. My dream of owning a Delica or some other 4x4 van is going to wait for a while

We have just bought from Shackels...was recommended to us and we have to say they have been great so far - even lent us a car till ours was ready to collect.

Prices start from about $7k I think, but they do have alot of stock and it moves fast.

Turners over in Lower Hutt do auctions & used cars on Trade Me, we bought ours through Trade Me & it's been good, they have had it back twice as we felt something was wrong & they lent us one in it's place (which I pranged ) I think they've been good though & dilanium on here has just bought through their auctions.

great timing for this post. Will be moving to Welly end of October and will start looking for cars.

With regard to buying used cars, what are the things i have to look out for? Do you fork out for AA inspection or does the seller do that for you?

What are the differences between WoF and rego?

Do 4x4 (ie, honda crv, toyota rav4) consume more petrol than compact cars or sedans?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalapenocheese View Post
    What are the differences between WoF and rego?

Do 4x4 (ie, honda crv, toyota rav4) consume more petrol than compact cars or sedans?
    A WoF is a warrant of fitness (MOT in the UK) and is a check that the vehicle is roadworthy / safe to be used on the road.

A rego is registration of the vehicle in your name. A part of the rego is license which is a 'tax' on using the car. The license part is paid each year (Road Tax in the UK)

Check out Fuelsaver to see about petrol consumption of different makes / models of cars.

Ian