Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 year old Dog

Default 10 year old Dog

I have a friend who is considering shipping a dog from the UK. It is an old family pet that was staying with another family who can no longer look after it. They do have the possibility of another home in the UK with other friends or shipping it out to NZ.

So could you let me know who is good to ship with? Any quarantine/health checks that need to be done? Will it be easy to arrange from NZ?

Also is it OK to ship such an old dog (10 years old), or would it be best for it to stay in the UK? Anyone got experiences of shipping an older dog - do they cope with the journey OK?

I appreciate this may have been covered several times before, but 'dog' is too short to search for so any answers or links to relevant threads would be helpful.

Thanks

Tia

Tia, from the UK there is no quarantine needed. We used Golden Arrow and they were fantastic. Pepper arrived in excellent condition.... better than she left us in fact! There are medical checks needed but GA tell you exactly what and when. As to the age of the dog, I'd say it would be down to how well the dog is for its age. If it's really healthy then I can't see a problem.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....t=Golden+arrow

Last edited by willsken; 24th July 2007 at 05:22 PM.

Tia, ours was 9 when we shipped him, and he is still going strong. Have a search for one of veronicas old threads she shipped an older dog too, think she used Ladyhaye, I would search for you, but teas on!

We shipped our dog that was 13 years old at the time and he made it through the flights from Los Angeles to Wellington in great shape.

Jen

We recently shipped our dog from the UK using Golden Arrow, she is nearly 12. Golden Arrow were excellent, explained everything thoroughly and when everything had to be done. They take all the worry out of it as they organise all the paper work so if anything does go wrong it is at there expense.

Gemma arrived safe and sound and seems unaffected by the long trip.

Jo

I shipped my 10 year old lab from the states and he did fine. He doesn't know that he's an old dog though, so I think that helped. Just make sure they get a thorough health check with blood/urine etc. tests.

We shipped our 11 year old x-breed, we used Sky masters, they are based in Manchester, they were really good, even picking Tess up from the vets were she had been staying for 4 weeks while she had all her relevant tests done, as she came over after us. She had no ill effects, except for sulking when we picked her up from the airport. But make sure your friends know how expensive it is, all in all it cost us 2100 pounds, but worth every penny.

Elaine (Kim39 OH)

Hi Tia,
    Another thing to be aware of is what type of breed the dog is. Some breeds are very nervous animals and make bad long distance travellers. Our Dalmatian would have been 10 years old when we would have shipped her over and she was a very nervous dog. Everyone who we spoke to advised us against shipping her over as it probably would have done her more harm than good. The Dalmatian society advised against it and found her a lovely home in the UK.We miss her very much but wouldn't have wanted to put her through too much trauma. Now are cats are a different story, they are so laid back that we will be bringing them over.
    If they are not sure re their dog get them to take it to the vet and they will give their opinion.
    Hope this helps

Dave and Caroline

Hi,
    Can anyone give us the details for Golden Arrow. We have a brilliant 2 year old German Shepherd (Penny) who we are taking with us. We do have some concerns about timings. Should we ship her out with us (same flight) or delay until we have a house/transport etc. We are planning to travel south as soon as we are all back together in Auckland. Our plan is to head for the South Island and set up camp.

They don't have a website but here are the contact details:
    Golden Arrow Shippers
    Lydbury North
    Shropshire
    SY7 8DY
    01588 680240

We shipped our dog 3 weeks after we arrived, gave us time to sort stuff out, but you will need someone in the UK to take dog to vets for final blood tests as they have to be done 10 days before shipping. Although I'm sure Golden Arrow could put your dog up if needs be, obviously costs more.

Give them a bell, they are really helpful.

Jo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast