Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Relocation Allowances

Default Relocation Allowances

Are relocation allowances common in New Zealand? If yes, does anyone know what the range might be for an overseas candidate's job offer package? Thanks!

Hi Mathmussim,

I think it depends on the employer. Mine effectively offered me the same as a relocation from the UK ( I worked for them a while in UK over a year ago). They paid for direct flights for myself and family ( we stopped off on way but we got a quote for the direct economy one way flight), 3 weeks accommodation in City, 3 weeks car hire, $10,000 towards international removals and the costs of obtaining work visas, including the medicals etc. The only thing the organised and repaid direct was the city appartment, the rest we paid and I put in an expenses claim. All in all it came to about $24,000.

We certainly had not expected it be offered. The one proviso is that it will have to be repaid if I leave the job before 2 years is up. Obviously I don't plan to do that!

I consider myself extremely lucky to have received it. Hope this is of some use.

Lee

What a great question; I was wondering the same thing!
    It's good to hear that some do offer an allowance.

It really depends on the company.

My partner's employer will be paying for our airfare (two of us), a month's accommodation, a month's car rental, and a couple of thousand dollars for international removals (we're coming from the Philippines so it's cheaper than having to ship from the UK). In our case, its the removals that we will have to pay initially and will just put it down in an expenses claim when we get to NZ.

Do negotiate with your employers. You might get some relocation allowance.

Is that all your employers are doing, mine is going to pick me up at the airport I think, oh and hes going to speak to the owner of the garage he gets his cars from to sort me out. He may even buy me a pair of safety shoes.

seems that my deal isn't that good

dan

I didnt even ask, and looks like I should have.

Very coincidentally my wife's employer has paid for our flights as part of her golden farewell.

I'm aware that this is an old thread but I was wondering if there were any further views or experiences anyone would like to share.

My wife has been offered a job with Social Services in Hamilton who say they don't normally offer relocation but the Chief Exec is apparently deciding. This from an employer forced to recruit overseas for the last several months and still less than half the 50 positions filled.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being sour about the situation. I am just curious as whether employers in general would expect to pay nothing in order to fill their recruitment needs from the opposite end of the planet?

We do not own property and but for some personal items, really have nothing worth shipping. However, we do have five children, which adds up to a very expensive immigration/medical process, let alone the flights. Do you think we'd get a discount for seven tickets?

Really depends on the firm/agency. I got a full relocation package and I know others who have and some who have not. Can't hurt to ask but it will depend on just who it is you are dealing with and just how hard they are finding it to hire people.

Quote Originally Posted by clg
    Really depends on the firm/agency. I got a full relocation package and I know others who have and some who have not. Can't hurt to ask but it will depend on just who it is you are dealing with and just how hard they are finding it to hire people.
    Yes, I fully appreciate that. A couple of jobs my wife has had between authorities in the UK came with relocation of varied worth. I can understand that employers would want to help with relocation costs to secure the 'right man for the job'. I just don't understand, if you are struggling to fill positions and looking so far afield, why you wouldn't expect to offer assistance. Perhaps I'm missing something or have become accustomed to overly generous UK authorities.

My employer paid for all my reloaction costs - flight, hotel accommodation for a month in Auckland, shipping, insurance and car hire in NZ for the first few months. All in all it was about $10 k just for me. I consider myself to be very lucky and certainly didn't expect it when I was considering accepting the job. I've since discovered that my employer recognises the skills shortage in Nz and therefore recruits internationally as a matter of course - I guess they appreciate that for a shift to the other side of world, a relocation package will help people along the way.

Incidently, I now have to work with the same employer for 2 years, otherwise I have to pay the allowance back on a pro rata basis. That way they're guaraneeing that the money they put in to getting me here will be worth it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast