Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of living in UK compared to NZ

Wink Cost of living in UK compared to NZ

hello Well, while my partner is English and we are currently living in NZ, we are moving back to the UK. I know it's a little cheeky, but could someone give me a rough idea of electricity, gas, council taxes per month (trying to do a budget of expenses). Thanks in advance, and if you want any info about similar costs in NZ please ask!!

Roughly speaking you're talking about £30 a month each for gas and electricity and £150-£200 for council tax. Plus don't forget water which is pricey in the UK and also costs about £30 a month. Plus don't forget TV licences which costs £10 a month. Plus don't forget etc etc.
    Basically the UK is a rip off PLC so be prepared for the high cost of living.

Basically the UK is a rip off PLC so be prepared for the high cost of living.
    Love it Charles!

But there's also competition, particularly for telephone call charges, Internet access etc, so it's worth shopping around, and certainly worth changing your gas/electricity supplier if you think the costs are getting too high - the competition keeps suppliers on their toes too! Can't do much about rising council tax though

Charles' estimates look about right, but don't forget to include telephone charges, and in our area, water and sewerage are provided by separate companies, so be aware of charges for each.

Default Are utilities really ripping us off?

Why do people think they are being ripped off? What does this mean? Is it being suggested that the commercial companies are charging more than they need to? Or charging more than people want or expect to pay?

The big problem that utilities have is how to fund the replacement of old wornout pipes/wires/plant and also how to fund the infrastructure required to support new house holds or increasing consumption. These are problems in NZ as much as UK.

Now here's a question - Limited competition for retailing electricity exists in NZ. In my area there are 5 electric retailers to choose between, yet 97% of consumers are with one retailer who is not the cheapest! Why don't people shop around?

Quote Originally Posted by bumpffslam View Post
    Now here's a question - Limited competition for retailing electricity exists in NZ. In my area there are 5 electric retailers to choose between, yet 97% of consumers are with one retailer who is not the cheapest! Why don't people shop around?
    Probably because of the hassle involved in making the move! e.g. my mum is very finance-savvy (on a pension she has to be), but she's always getting hassle with bills for companies that she's cancelled contracts with etc. It's not like she's not compos-mentis or anything - she makes it perfectly clear what she's going to do, but they still don't get it right!

But yes, I agree that shopping around is important.

We lived in London - obviously costs can vary - these are from Sept 2005:

Costs per month:

TV license: £10.49
    C Tax: £178
    Gas/Elec (3 bed house): £60
    Water: £28
    House & Contents Insurance: £20
    Phone & Broadband: £52

So very similar to Charlesw25

Cheers

Tia

Might be worth mentioning car related charges for the UK as this can be a major expense also e.g. road tax, MOT (WOF), compulsary car insurance, petrol etc. Can anyone from the UK give current costs or at least ballpark figures?

Ian

House, building, car etc Insurances will go up after what happen with floods in UK at the moments.

Ok, they're saying that it's only a matter of time before we pay £1 per litre of fuel:

for my little Ford KA:

Tax = £110 per annum

Petrol = c£35 for a full tank, and we get through roughly 1.5 tanks a week due to 60 mile round trip commute 5 days a week, which gives you some idea of costs.

Insurance = eeek, not sure as OH pays that

Then there's AA membership as well, again don't have the figures to hand.

We're about to trade it in for a Citroen Xsara Picasso, and I understand the tax will be £165 for its bracket.

I'm sure someone else will come along with more sensible figures! But this gives you some idea of petrol costs for a very small car. Not pretty.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast