Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drink driving and the NZ law

Here Here Lupin!

Lupin you have put it so well - totally agree with you! Its definately one of my 'soap box' things is drink driving, I could go on and on about it.

I'm lucky becasue Kev doesn't drink at all, (he;s daft enough without it! ) So when we go anywhere i drink and he drives!!! Sorted!!

If you drink you donít drive, I agree unequivocally.
    Sadly however you will never abolish the problem; while you have alcohol and cars you will always have drunk driving. These people are so arrogant/ ignorant that the vast majority of them can see nothing wrong with it. Many of them seem to think itís their right to drink and drive and cant understand what the fuss is all about as it wonít happen to them.
    I have a name for such peopleÖ

Unfortunately the law really doesn't help here. After having your licence revoked for DIC, you can apply for a licence during your disqualification period which will allow you drive to work although not for pleasure

David.

Default I'm going to regret this...

Zero tolerance, eh? That seems rather harsh.

Cars are a huge danger. They're big and they move fast. People don't want to be hit by a ton of steel moving at a high rate of speed. Fair enough.

I'll agree that alcohol affects your judgment and your driving ability. It would be hard to state otherwise. I will also bet that I drive much better with one or two drinks in me than most other people do without any (although worse than I drive without any). My driving record bears this out. Should you take away my license, or throw me in jail?

Other things also affect your driving ability. Should older people be prohibited from driving? How about younger people who are influenced by all those hormones? What about people on cell phones? How about people who carry on conversations while driving? Changing the radio station while driving certainly detracts from your concentration on the road. Outlaw radios.

Laws generally reflect a compromise between how the different segments of society feel about given issues. The blood alcohol limits currently in force seem just about right to me. I can easily see how others might disagree, especially if they had a loved one seriously injured or killed. I certainly don't advocate drunken driving.

I've replied to this thread knowing that I'm going against the mainstream of opinion expressed thus far, but I've seen too many zero tolerance programs of one kind or another. They are almost always promulgated by well-intentioned people who are doing what they think is best.

No alcohol while driving! No exceptions!

Quote Originally Posted by swissmissdesigner View Post
    No alcohol while driving! No exceptions!
    That's the law in the Czech Republic (Who are the world's heaviest consumers of beer) also cellphones are banned while driving, including handsfree.
    Also if you are involved in an accident while changing radio stations it becomes automatically your fault whatever the situation (unless the other driver is drunk or on a cellphone - it's like trumps)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith C. View Post

Laws generally reflect a compromise between how the different segments of society feel about given issues.
    Sometimes, but not always. Legislation may surge ahead of a perceived timeframe for identifying a "compromise" position to a dangerous or unjust situation (if compromise is even possible), if those in power are convinced society needs an urgent remedy and if there are vocal proponents to raise the issue to a level that legislators dare not ignore.

Zero tolerance policy isn't interested in assessing whether you are a better driver with a couple of drinks in you than someone else may be without any. (I like the other drivers' exercise of judgment much better, knowing nothing else about their abilities or yours.) Zero tolerance says, here's the bright-line rule (the .08 measurement) for how the law decides you are impaired. If you break the rule, penalties follow because the harm you may cause is too great, you can't fix it, and we aren't going to tolerate a wholly preventable cause of it.

Never believed in drink driving, and would be more than happy with zero tolerance (that is how I treat this issue anyway - regardless of the law).

That said, just like to point out that technically zero tolerance is not practicable even non alcoholic drinks actually contain traces of alcohol, so the best that could be done would be to lower the limit (substantially).

I personally think that they should increase the penalties substantially, If you knowingly drink and drive it should carry the same penalties as attempted manslaughter regardless of whether you actually have an accident or not ...

Ian

Zero tolerance may be a fine basis for personal decision-making, but it's an absurd basis for public policy. There are only so many police, courts, and jail spots available - and NZ is chronically short of all three, having the second highest incarceration rate in the free world.

That's an entirely different matter than using an objective measurement that may not be 'fair' to all people. Some people might be fine blowing 0.10, others might not be at only 0.05 - but 0.08 represents a reasonable, justifiable compromise. And in any event, chronic offenders are usually FAR more pickled than that - just check the numbers when you read a drink-driving arrest story in the newspaper.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast