Thread: Buy second-hand car in Auckland, Christchurch or Dunedin?

Default Buy second-hand car in Auckland, Christchurch or Dunedin?

We're not sure in which city to look for a second-hand car. We're arriving in Auckland and then making our way down to Dunedin where we want to stay. Which place would be best to look for a second-hand car? At a guess the choice is probably the best in Auckland, but then we have to take ferry prices and fuel into account. What about the second-hand car market in Christchurch or in Dunedin?
    Any info/experiences gratefully received!

There is lots of car sale in christchurch, mostly on moorhouse ave as well as we got turner's auction http://www.turners.co.nz/Branches/Tu...5/Default.aspx where you can buy car now rather waiting for auction, just ask for list of cars that you can "buy" now.

we did the same - got a hire car from Budget - got the ferry - picked up another car on the Picton side.
    dropped it in at Chch. and bought a Isuzi Bighorn in Chch.

Dunedin has garages - but you will have more choice I think in Chch. - and using a hire car and walking onto the ferry saves on the price of the ferry crossing.

But its entirely up to you - I am sure that there are loads of car lots in Auckland. But the ones at Chch are all in the same area.

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by bartons View Post
    We're not sure in which city to look for a second-hand car. We're arriving in Auckland and then making our way down to Dunedin where we want to stay. Which place would be best to look for a second-hand car? At a guess the choice is probably the best in Auckland, but then we have to take ferry prices and fuel into account. What about the second-hand car market in Christchurch or in Dunedin?
    Any info/experiences gratefully received!
    As it is winter time, the ferry cost is currently $110 (web special for the car) so wouldn't let that stop you from getting a better deal in Auckland if indeed you can?

Not sure if the prices are better, but if online is anything to go by, Auckland does appear to have more choice?

Of course if you have any problems, then you may want to be local?

Ian

You should give http://www.carfair.co.nz/ a go if you're in Auckland. Runs every Sunday and go armed with a copy of trade and exchange so that you know you're not paying over the odds.

If you come back through Auckland, you should be able to sell it on there too.

Don't forget trademe though, althought you won't able to register until you land.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! Much appreciated!

Also try good ol' trademe. If you join the AA, you can get them to check the car out for you and give you a thorough report of any work that would need doing - I think it costs about $130 -ish. You probably have to give them a couple of days notice. Worth doing if (like me) you know nothing about cars, or if you are going to take the risk of buying unseen.

I actually reckon cars might be a bit cheaper down south...there seems to be a bit of an Auckland premium on most stuff...but I suppose you might not get as much choice.

Lil.