Thread: Lost driving licence ID card needed for test

Default Lost driving licence ID card needed for test

Hi guys

anyone had this issue, no plastic ID driving licence from UK to use for written driving test?

Ironically we both had them stolen here on holiday 3 years ago and because we were living in cyprus never able to have them re issued. Now OH has gone for his NZ licence with just the paper one and they will not accept it.
    to get a replacement you need to be living in the UK for last 3 years according to all of their website info.

what do you do to replace a licence whilst living abroad or when its expired??

Hope someone will help otherwise its a trip aborad to get a further 12 months on his existing UK paper licenceto drive here leagally. Then work out how to change address etc after.

Do you have any family over there still that would be willing to post you the forms, and let you use their address? You can then use their address to change your address on your licence, then apply for a new one, it will get sent to them and they forward it?

I know its not strictly "legal" but you are entitled to your licence as you have earned it! Sometimes being sneaky is the only way!

What sort of paper license are you using?

We used the paper driving license from the UK (the one pre-the photo id version) without any problems to get our NZ driving licenses.

If yours is the same, then maybe you should try a different test centre?

Have you also considered if you could get an international drivers license - haven't looked into this, but maybe they would be happy with the paper copy?

Ian

I had a similar issue, but it was only a year after we were here. I lost my ID licience just after arriving, and didnt bother to replace it. When the year was up I tried to apply for my written driving test just using the paper copy. It turns out the paper copy is only the same as a provisional licience. Land transport applied to the DVLA in the UK to confirm my licience class (ie full licience) and then i was able to take the written test.
    Hope this is some help (but this was two years ago)
    Debs

Thanks guys it looks like Land applying to the UK is probably the best route. We could use relatives, but as we have been out the country for 4 years now not sure they check electoral roles etc.

I would have prefered a trip to Fiji but OH is not up for that