Thread: Cost of Daycare???

Default Cost of Daycare???

We have 2 kids under 5.
    I saw something about daycare costing $200 week.

Could this be possible??

That would be $1600 per month.

Does anybody have info about the cost of daycare?

The kids are 4 (this month) and 2 1/2

Thanks

Some useful threads for you:

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9683

My post from the first thread:

Obviously childcare costs will vary from area to area, but here are some from North Shore, Auckland

Nursery 1 - Hours 9am-3pm, ages 3-5, you provide pack lunch, $35 per day ($33 per day if doing 2 or more days, not sure of the weekly rate)

Nursery 2 - Hours 7.30am to 5.30pm, ages baby to 5, $35 per day or $25 for morning or afternoon session (7.30-1 and 1-5.30). Provides lunch & snacks.

Holiday club - 9am-4.30pm, $35 per day, school age, you provide pack lunch (extra for trips)

After School club - 3pm-4.30pm, $8.50, 3pm - 6pm, $15

In home Childcare - Nanny - PORSE network, between $15 to $18per hour

There is a great range of costs for Nannies depending on age, experience, if they've had all the police checks etc.

Some people put adds here:

http://www.gumtree.co.nz/auckland/he...bs_3601_1.html
    http://www.finda.co.nz/classifieds/j...y-babysitting/

Here are some other Nanny sites:

www.kiwioznannies.co.nz
    www.tinies.co.nz/index/index.php
    www.claro.co.nz
    www.porsenz.com

With the majority of these childcare options you have to pay for holidays and if your child is sick. Also they offer discounts for more than 1 child, or more than 1 day. Some vary by a couple of $s depending on age (ie more expensive for baby care than for 3 year old care).
    www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12791

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11833

Keep in mind that the costs I've shown on the first thread represent costs in an Auckland suburb and hopefully most places should be a bit cheaper than this.

Also in theory some areas are offerening the free childcare hours, (will you have PR?), there are no places in my area though. Here are some details of the scheme:

www.littlies.co.nz/page.asp?id=1091

I've found the costs of childcare here cheaper than in the UK, but as our wages are a lot less it seems a lot more.

Cheers

Tia

Default Yikes!

Holy *#@!

We are looking at the Wellington area. Hopefully much cheaper.

However, if childcare costs are this high, perhaps we should wait until one of them turns 5 before coming over????

I know Americans expect a lot for cheap but ...

I currently pay $260 a week for both of them at the most expensive school in town. We are moving to a different school (partly to save up for our move!!) and it will cost $180/week for BOTH OF THEM!!! And that includes lunch and snack!!!

For our 3 1/2 yr old we pay NZ$231 per week, full time, including meals, in central Auckland. Most of the places we looked at charge more.

Default Starting school

Might be cheaper to be a stay-at-home mom!!

How does school work? My son will be 5 next August (2008), will he have to wait until the school year 2009 begins or can he start school when he turns 5 in August?

Most kids start school on their fifth birthday - so your son could start when he turns 5 in August.