Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do North of Auckland?

Talking What to do North of Auckland?

Hello everyone,

We are hiring a camper van for 2 weeks on arrival in October for some well earned R&R before we start our new life in Hamilton

We are thinking about covering the area North of Auckland, maybe up the East coast and back down the West? to drop the van off back in the City.

We have never visited NZ before so....

Any must see tourist attractions?
    Any off the beaten track places you locals know about?
    any suggestions on routes?
    recommended campsites?
    recommended activities?
    recommended eateries?
    tips on campervaning?

Cheers

I love the area north of Auckland. Matakana area is beautiful, a drive over to Pakiri Beach would be great, and there is camping there. also east of Whangerei, out by Tutukaka there is some lovely windy roads that go through little communities and bays.
    here are a couple of suggestions from Kerry S. elsewhere on this site ( a thread called things todo in the NOrth Island) --great photos there but most are of places south of Auckland)
    Kerry S. says:
    My fave place is Tawharanui, just north of Auckland. http://www.arc.govt.nz/auckland-regi...tawharanui.cfm
    I go there quite a lot to surf and chill out. (It's about 90 mins north of Auckland.)

For a really quiet and empty site try Urutiti, which is a DOC site near Whangarei. It is just a field with a couple of long drops, but I love camping there as it's right on the beach and has amazing views over the Hen and Chicken Islands.

You might like to take the Twin Coast Discovery Highway
    http://www.newzealand.com/travel/get...st-highway.cfm

or this route
    http://www.newzealand.com/travel/get...a-auckland.cfm

and make sure you see some kauri:
    http://www.newzealand.com/travel/sig...context/0.html

There's so much great stuff to see in Northland

Cathedral cove is lovely. You have to park up and walk for about 30 mins to the beach. But it is well worth it.

Also Driving creek railway up the coromandel is amazing, even if you not interested in railways, the views are fantastic, and to think it was one guys vision, and he laid every peice of track himself!! Theres a good top ten camp site not far away too, Shelly Beach.

Its only just north of Auckland but I would have to suggest starting your trip in Devonport of course!

Its a lovely place to have brunch and you can either drive or walk to the top of Mount Victoria for a great view, to check what's on:

http://devonportdirectory.co.nz/

www.devonport.co.nz/

Some useful newsletters you can sign up for which will tell you what's on in Auckland and the North Shore:

www.northshorecity.govt.nz (look under the citylife section its called shorelife email newsletter)

www.aucklandcity.tx.co.nz/go/to/subscribe (Its the Ak@Play one)

I think they are weekly and tell you about all the extra things going on in addition to the normal tourist things.

I've not been to this place myself but a lot of people say it makes a great alternative to stopping at a service station!

www.honeycentre.co.nz

A great place to stop if you need the loo on the way up to Paihia:

http://www.aatravel.co.nz/101-must-d...r-Toilets.html

You can easily spend a couple of days in Paihia, whether it be at the treaty grounds:

www.waitangi.net.nz

A boat to see the Hole in the Rock or watch dolphins

www.dolphincruises.co.nz/holerock.php

or the more thrill seeking version:

www.excitor.co.nz

A lot of the boat activities are weather dependent so factor that into your plans. If you only allow one day to see dolphins and its stormy then you'll miss out.

If you haven't already found it check out this site:

www.northlandnz.com

Be warned you will encounter lots of windy roads, up and down hills so the driving can take a bit longer than it looks on the map. (It can be a bit hard on those who get travel sick also!)

Have fun!

Cheers

Tia

I have lived in Northland for the last 9 years or so, and I can agree with everything already said.

The twin coast highway route is lovely, and I can also recommend taking State Highway 16 out of Auckland and joining SH 1 further north. However if green faces can be a problem stick to SH 1 the whole way. The Kauri tree on the Dargaville side called Tane Mahuta is very impressive, but the road is windy. If this becomes a problem or time is a bit tight then see the trees in Pukeiti forest near Kerikeri, they are just as impressive (not as big, but more numerous) and don't require as much driving. One thing that is on this route that I strongly recommend is the Kauri Museum in Matakohe, it appears at first to be a bit ramshackle but it is absolutely fascinating.

http://www.kauri-museum.com/

Paihia is definitely the activity centre of the North. Try and arrange things so that you are here when the weather is good, virtually everything to do here is best done in good weather.

Kerikeri is more a place where local live, and old Aucklanders go to die. There is almost no sea access here so there are no trips or activities based here. There are however lots of nice cafes and things like the Makana chocolate factory to visit, so it is quite gentrified. A good place to go if the weather is not playing along.

Another favourite is the Mangonui Fish Shop, which does some of the best fush and chups in the area. Make sure you do not arrive at the same time as the Cape Reinga buses that run from Paihia (5-6pm), or you will be waiting at the bar for ages. Actually it might be worth taking a Cape Reinga bus from Paihia rather than driving yourself (unless you intend to stay further North for a couple of days), it is a really long drive and the buses drive along the beach and do things like dune surfing and visiting a marae which is not easy to do on your own.

There is not alot in Whangarei to write home about (the Tutukaka coast is pretty). You can get most things in the shops there. Sadly there is even less in Dargaville.

Northland is mostly agricultural and the majority of the towns are service towns for the local farms. Paihia is the stand alone exception, it is a tourist town. Imagine the South West of England about 50 years ago. I like Northland very much, but then I do live here.

WOW!!!

So much to do so little time.....we need to get reading!

Thanks for all of your replies, we are so grateful for all the information on this board it makes everythjing so much easier

Matai bay
    Matauri bay
    Taupo bay
    90 mile beach/ahipara

dont forget piha, karekare, bethalls and muriwai just west of Aucks

Have fun, its all good!

Those are all just beaches, and have absolutely no services in most cases. There is a caravan park on Matauri bay which is lovely in the summer (avoid the school holidays).

When campervanning join the Top10 Parks card scheme, you get a discount in all of the affiliated parks of about 10%, so it takes only a couple of night to get the cost of joining back. Top 10s are generally the best quality ones you will find. They are not in all areas, though.

www.top10.co.nz

The Hodges - Bump! The toilets just for you!

Cheers

Tia

PS I have PM'd you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast