Thread: Provisional Registration (Teaching)does not lead to PR?

Default Provisional Registration (Teaching)does not lead to PR?

As a teacher, you can only get PR when you have full registration; as overseas-trained, you will have provisional registration and it will take you up to 2 years to qualify for an upgrade..............this is a quote from a post a while back, but is it still true?

I have just got Provisional Registration from the Teachers Council, so if I get a job offer is it right that I put in my EOI, hope to get ITA then would be offered work permit rather than PR?

Default I need the answer to this also

Gosh, isn't this grand?

I am waiting for the answer to this one as well.

My OH is a plumber and needs registration for PR but can't get registration without a job, license and an exam. Can't get a job without PR.

And I am a teacher. That doesn't seem to help us.

So as a teacher, the same thing?
    Last edited by Ashby; 11th August 2007 at 05:32 AM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    As a teacher, you can only get PR when you have full registration; as overseas-trained, you will have provisional registration and it will take you up to 2 years to qualify for an upgrade..............this is a quote from a post a while back, but is it still true?

I have just got Provisional Registration from the Teachers Council, so if I get a job offer is it right that I put in my EOI, hope to get ITA then would be offered work permit rather than PR?
    No, it's not true. You can only get provisional registration and I was granted PR on that. As a teacher you should have no trouble at all getting PR.

Thanks Willsken, that's a relief! I had noticed that Speckythecky got the next level up from Provisional: 'Subject to Confirmation' and wanted to check if prov. was the norm.
    How are you finding the process of working towards full registration?

I think that provisional is the norm, for some reason they took into account OHs threshhold payments and management experience to give her STC.
    good luck with the next stages in your process and hope to finally meet you on the other side.

John

TBH it hasn't entered my head. I'm doing the same job here as HOD, as I did in the UK. No one checks up on me and I'm pretty much under the impression, as long as I do my job, it's just a case of it being a formality.

I just saw this thread. A question just popped into my head as I was reading the replies.

I was primary applicant because I'm a teacher. I got my provisional registration, and we got PR. What if I never activate my teacher registration but instead take a job doing something different? Will this affect my PR? Can they take it back??!!!

If I decide to teach, in order to go from provisional to full registration, how long will that take? I probably knew this back when I first started this process, but right now I"m packing like a madwoman and just don't recall.

And if I allow my license to expire altogether and don't teach for a few years, I would not qualify to register with TC again because they have some rule, don't they, about "recent" teaching experience??

Ack, it's so complicated.

Christine

once you have PR you do not need to work in the role that you applied for.
    to go from provisional status to full status for teachers council usually take 12 months. Not sure about the allows registration to lapse and then not being able to get registration as you haven't got recent experience.

Smile Overseas teachers and full registration

If your PR does rely on a full registration when I looked at the Ministry site it said that with 5 years experience you can go be put straight on to the 2nd level and that full registration can be considered after 3 months. So hopefully the wait won't be too long.
    Hope this helps.
    Aussie Pom

Plumbing registration requires a 3 hour written exam and possibly a practical assessment.
    The exam is only available in NZ