Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwi or not a Kiwi ?

Default Kiwi or not a Kiwi ?

Here's another one of those questions that have no real importance or point - but will produce some interestiong opinions and answers (hopefully).

I'd like to bring up the subject of 'being a Kiwi'.

I'm sitting on the fence when I ask this question (but leaning ever so slightly to one side), I'm not trying to be smart, belittling or antagonistic - I'm just curious.

I've seen many many comments by made loads of different people about how they are looking forward to becoming a Kiwi.

Do these comments really just mean that folks are looking forward to starting a new life in NZ or am I splitting hairs by suggesting they will class themselves as a Kiwi once they live over there?

We have to have PR in NZ for a minimum of 5 years before we can even consider applying for dual citizenship. How can we be Kiwi's with a UK passport? :?

As you know I'm married to a Kiwi. PB has been living over here for many years but I can tell you without any hesitation that he's never called himself a Pom or a Brit. Simply because he isn't - regardless to how long he's been here.

I adore NZ, I'm married to one of it's citizens and I really can't wait to get out there and get my teeth into our new life. However, I will consider myself to be a Pom/English person/Brit in a foreign country, and I have to admit, I think classing myself as a Kiwi at such an early stage would be a touch sycophantic.

None of the above comments are meant to provoke - I'm just interested in your opinions on this subject.

Diny

I agree Diny - I shall always class myself as British even if we had NZ Citizenship. I shall always be a foreigner in NZ but am trying hard to integrate with regards to learning about the culture, history and traditions etc.

I'd find it v. strange for someone non-British to come to the UK and suddenly call themselves British (in fact, it used to wind me up...) so why should I feel any differently here!

I know of some people who are keen to shed their British association - but I personally am proud to be British although recent world events might make my proud declaration more of a whisper.

Good thread - can't wait to see some of the other replies!

Moorf

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

Interesting post Diny,

As Malaysians we cannot hold to passports i.e. our government does not recognise dual citizenship. In order to be Kiwi, we will have to give up our Malaysian passports. As for my wife and I, I think we will be foremost Malaysians living in New Zeland and I can't come to call ourselves a Kiwi.

The way I look at it, our kids could very much be a "Kiwi" even if they continue to carry Malaysian passports. The reason I say this is becasue they will be emigrating at a very young age (6 and 3). Much of their growing up will be in a Kiwi setting and they will be used to the Kiwi culture even if we practiced another culture at home.

Like it or not, outside influence on a child is very strong especially at a tender age of 6 or 3! They will be moulded to how an average Kiwi child shodul be from school, peers etc. I won't be surprised at all if they were to speak English with a Kiwi accent in a few years.

If we do not take up NZ citizenship in 5 years after we get our PR, our kids will be the most affected I think, as they will still be Malaysian citizens but will not be able to call Malaysia their home simply because they won't be able to relate to Malaysia. As it is, since they lived overseas for some time, they can't speak the Malay language which is an important basic requirement for being a Malaysian.

I wonder how other Asians feel about this.

Got to agree with Moorf and Diny. My own feeling is that to be a KIWI you really have to grow up here, thats when most of the formative stuff happens. Having said that I would be really proud to have a NZ passport as well.

Default 3 yrs or 5 yrs to Kiwihood!

I must be confused... Such a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway. Did the law pass requiring 5 yrs PR before you can apply for citizenship? I thought it was still pending?

Please, someone, set me straight here!
    Thanks
    Jen

No I understand it is still in the proposed stage.

Jen -

I understand it came into effect a few days ago - from Jan 1st. There's every possibility I'm mistaken though.

Veronica -

I agree, I think the young kids that are emigrating to NZ now will consider themselves as Kiwi's as they get older having spent their formative years there.

Holding dual nationality (eventually) would make some things alot easier, but I will still class myself as a British person who holds a 2nd passport.

Diny

I believe that you can only be a Kiwi if you THINK, SPEAK and DO the Kiwi way. I don't think I'll ever be that person bec. I have lived all my 33 yrs in the Philippines. Our law recently allowed dual citizenship thus allowing me to hold 2 passports. I'll definitely hold on to my Philippine passport even if I become a NZ citizen. For my kids, they could become Kiwis later on but we'll try our very best to instill in them their roots.

- Jinkee

i think that if you were granted your PR in dec you only have to wait 3 years and not 5
    but i agree that we will always be british and also in the eyes of kiwis always british how ever long we are here

I'm abit confused as to whether it's 3 years or 5. It doesn't really matter anyway, getting dual nationality is something I may consider when the time comes. I won't be ticking off the months on my calendar waiting to apply.

Quote:

also in the eyes of kiwis always british how ever long we are here

Ain't that a fact. To PB's dad I may well be his daughter in law, the mother of his 2 half Kiwi grandsons - but I'll always be a 'bloody Pom'.

(excuse the language).

Diny

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast