Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bare Feet?

CJChris asked: "...is the no shoes thing mostly a kid thing, a native kiwi thing, a class thing, a school thing, or what?? Would you, for example, see people of all incomes, careers, and ages without their shoes?"

Didn't see a response to this...what are your observations?

Well, it's definitely a kid thing, it's also a native kiwi thing, but there are plenty who wear shoes all the time too, it's also an ex-pat gone native thing, and I also think there is a bit of a class element of it, especially in winter, as I have seen far less kids out on the actual street in barefeet in winter in Cambridge (which is quite affluent), but in Tokoroa where I work, most kids are on the street in barefeet all year round, even on freezing cold mornings. Tokoroa is far from affluent.

Must say haven't seen as much bare feet in NZ as I noticed in Sydney when we lived there

I used to work for a First Aid provider in Christchurch and people attending the class would regularly take off their shoes after a while (not all of them, obviously, but the more casual and laid back kind, or the younger ones).
    I don`t see many people going bare feet now in winter but definitly in summer. At kindy, the kids drop their shoes in the "shoes boz" as soon as they go in, by choice.
    I would go barefeet to the little dairy shop around the corner and wouldn`t bother to ask the kids to put shoes on in the summer. I have seen "normal" people ( I mean, not the hippie kind of guy) bare feet at the bank, the chemist, etc..
    My family finds it a bit bizarre, but it s like sitting on the floor. We sit on the floor a lot despite our very nice sofas, and that `s something my 60 years old dad can`t understand (another generation, another country, etc..).
    People coming to our house do what they want but I find that most of them automatically take their shoes off.
    I actually can`t stand shoes, I am a flip flop kind of girl.
    Laura

I think it is the verrucca thing that worries me.

Mind you...it is great that kids can be bare foot at school ....when you consider how many hours they are there...wearing shoes that long cannot be good for your feet. In UK, they will even send kids home if they wear wrong kind of shoes...seems like health and safety has just gone too far, leaves no room for 'common sense' and allowing kids to be more careful next time if they hurt themselves.

I did find it amazing at first that people walked barefoot on downtown streets even in the winter. I lived for 6 months in downtown Auckland and I saw a lot of this. Personally I've always detested shoes and socks, but until I moved here never considered going barefoot an option outside the neighborhood. But as a university student in Auckland I went barefoot whenever I wasn't in class, to the supermarket, the mall, the dairy, on my bike, even on the ferry to Waiheke once. I always find the extremes in NZ funny, primary kids can go barefoot, but secondary school kids have to wear shoes and knee-socks!

I did have one experience that was quite different though. Once while shopping at the new Sylvia Park Mall I was stopped and told to either go buy some Jandals at the Warehouse or leave the mall. I soon saw that they had suddenly deployed security guards to every entrance to stop barefoot patrons, and this being a warm Saturday there were more than a few. The guard said that if I stepped on glass I could sue them. This was ridiculous since ACC would cover that and it would be my fault anyway for not watching my step. But what was worse this was creeping Americanism, an assault on a practice that is quintessentially Kiwi. Perhaps aware of how un-Kiwi their stance was at a mall that proudly declares itself 'Kiwi-owned' they never posted a sign saying shoes were required. But several months later no one, not even kids in the midst of summer, went barefoot in that mall. I decided to patronize other malls where I never had another problem.

I wouldn't feel comfortable not wearing the shoes, because I'd be worried about stepping on glass. Do you look at your feet all the time as you walk barefoot? How do you make sure you don't hurt yourself? Still watching people with no shoes in amazement. It can't be too healthy on a freezing morning, can it?

- woolen socks fan

Personally I didn't walk on city streets without my jandals, although I have certainly seen Kiwis doing this. Regarding glass, once you walk barefoot regularly the soles toughen up and you don't get cut unless you step on a really big shard which would be easy to spot and avoid. Personally I have never had a cut on my foot from being barefoot. As to the cold, it is your overall body temperature being too low that can make you vulnerable to illness. We know most body heat is lost through the head, but quite a few people go hatless in quite cold weather. If you dress warmly enough with coat, etc., being barefoot shouldn't make you ill at all. As to fungus, they grow in damp warm environments, like a shoe. I would agree that walking barefoot and then putting on shoes to do some activity, especially without socks, may increase the chances for athletes' foot.

However, that being said I would not do the numerous physical activites such as rugby and athletics that Kiwis, especailly kids, do regularly. I did break one toe and badly sprained another playing frisbee barefoot and running barefoot as a kid and have learned not to do that since. Although my days of running are pretty much over now since I injured my knee tramping near Waihi last year and have since been told I have the beginnings of arthritis in the joint at age 22.

To sum up my opinion, walking barefoot about the shops or the market or at school are okay even in the winter on occasion. But barefoot running, and sport, with a few possible exceptions (Gymnastics, Beach activities) raise the risk of injuries. But I believe the decision about whether the risks are acceptable should be made by the individual or by parents and not by schools and businesses or government. That is what I like about NZ, you have a choice.

Default Footwear requirements

Since moving to NZ if I need to wear footwear all I require is ..

1) A pair of Red Bands for Winter (rain or shine)
    2) A pair of formal shoes for weddings, funerals or other similar occasions
    3) A pair of jandals for the rest of the time

Its something I used to do in UK but now do more often in NZ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast