Thread: Ripper Rugby

Default Ripper Rugby

My 4 year old is interested in playing Ripper Rugby - can someone enlighten me what it is please?!

Cheers

Tia

Hi Tia,

Its Rippa Rugby and its a non-contact version of Rugby Union. Tends to lead onto Touch Rugby and then onto full contact Rugby Union. Quite a few of the kids at Joe's school do it but there was no way Martin was going to let Joe get involved - its Rugby League or nothing in this house given Martin comes from the 'home of Rugby League'!!

Anyway if you do a Google search for Rippa Rugby you'll probably find the North Harbour Rugby Union club page. In the kids area it claims there are several clubs up and down the North Shore including one in Devonport.

We've actually ended up signing Joe up for Soccer this season as a lot of his classmates are doing it but we have a family season ticket to go watch the Warriors to keep up the interest in League.

Anneliese

Quote Originally Posted by mgbridges View Post
    Hi Tia,

Its Rippa Rugby and its a non-contact version of Rugby Union. Tends to lead onto Touch Rugby and then onto full contact Rugby Union. Quite a few of the kids at Joe's school do it but there was no way Martin was going to let Joe get involved - its Rugby League or nothing in this house given Martin comes from the 'home of Rugby League'!!

Anyway if you do a Google search for Rippa Rugby you'll probably find the North Harbour Rugby Union club page. In the kids area it claims there are several clubs up and down the North Shore including one in Devonport.

We've actually ended up signing Joe up for Soccer this season as a lot of his classmates are doing it but we have a family season ticket to go watch the Warriors to keep up the interest in League.

Anneliese
    Thanks mgbridges, that would explain why I didn't get much on the Google search!

I know nothing about rugby so have no affiliations either way, but as my oldest plays soccer it would be quite good to have No2 son playing something different. Makes life simpler if they can have their own thing!

I guess I ought to look up the rules ......

Cheers

Tia

Tia,
    The sign-up dates for most of the local clubs are happening now. My boy plays for a Northharbour club and dad coaches. I don't know when your boys birthday is but (if my info is correct) he would have to have turned 5 before the 1st March this yr to officially register. What that means is that he won't be covered by ACC or Northharbour Union if he has an injury whilst playing. I know that some clubs will still let them train each week and play but you as a parent have to take that into consideration. It's hard My daughter is so keen to get out and play like her brother but is still to young.
    Debbie

Thanks Debbie, signed Number 2 son up on Sunday but I haven't heard anything about the injury issue, I'll have to ask around at the local club.

I guess if something does happen it may have to turn into a 'gardening' accident!

Christine

I just googled Rippa Rugby to see if there are any clubs round our way, and the first site that came up was the Small Blacks - brilliant name, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    Thanks Debbie, signed Number 2 son up on Sunday but I haven't heard anything about the injury issue, I'll have to ask around at the local club.

I guess if something does happen it may have to turn into a 'gardening' accident!

Christine
    Yep that tends to be the case. Difficult to tell between a broken arm from slipping on a field and one from slipping on your lawn.
    Debbie

Is it the same as 'tag rugby' I wonder? My kids play that and they have a piece of fabric (I'm sure it has a technical term!) tucked in them somewhere and the other team have to get their piece of fabric! It's great fun

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Hopeful View Post
    Is it the same as 'tag rugby' I wonder? My kids play that and they have a piece of fabric (I'm sure it has a technical term!) tucked in them somewhere and the other team have to get their piece of fabric! It's great fun
    Yes, that's the one! Perhaps you can enlighten me as to the rules, my son keeps asking me and I haven't got a clue. His rugby question of the day is 'can you pull people's Tshirts'?

Cheers

Tia

Here is a link to the UK site - It might give a bit more technical info than I can!

http://www.tagrugby.co.uk/