Thread: Packing medicine?

Default Packing medicine?

Hi all, recently got the blue stickers and our flights are booked for mid September. The thing is i have quite a lot of prescription medicine to take with me as i am diabetic and that means several pills a day etc. Anyway i have about a six months supply to take at the moment, maybe more next month. Its about 60 boxes of pills of average size. My question is, where do i pack them? Do i put them in a box and ship them or do i put them in my hold luggage and take them with me? I dont put them in my carry on case do I? ive searched but cant find a suitable answer, so any info would be great if someone has came across the same problem.

WE HAD TO BRING A SUPPLY OF ASTHMA MEDICATION FOR 3 KIDS AND PUT IT IN THE CONTAINER BUT WE HAD PROBLEMS AT THIS END AS MAF WANTED A DOCTORS LETTER SAYING WHAT IT WAS ,WHO IT WAS FOR AND WHY THEY NEEDED SO MUCH.LUCKILY OUR DOCTORS FAXED ME A LETTER TO MY WORK IN nz WHICH I GAVE TO THE CONTAINER PEOPLE. OTHER WISE THEY WOULDNYT RELEASE IT AND I WOULD HAVE HAD TO START PAYING STORAGE FEES WHILST WE SORTED IT OUT.nOBODY HAD MENTIONED WE WOULD NEED TO DO THIS .
    HOPE THIS HELPS CARDY

We have been told by several shippers that If I am going to put any medication in the container then I need to provide the shippers with a Doctors letter listing all the medication and why I need it in New Zealand.
    I am also Diabetic but on Insulin.
    The problem with bringing important medication such as Diabetic tablets and Insulin is that you will need to bring over at least 2 months supply on the plane to bide you over until the container arrives. As regards insulin, never put insulin in your suitcase in the hold as temperatures can drop severely rendering the insulin useless. I always have all my insulin in my carry on luggage complete with a Doctor's letter stating I need to have it with me.This letter has come in handy a couple of times.As you are on tablets the temperature drop should not be a problem. I would personally put your tablets in your suitcase unless you have spare room in your hand luggage but make sure you have a Doctors letter especially if you are going via LA.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies folks. I think i will put it all in my suitcase and get a drs letter as you have recommended. I should be able to manage them in my case rather than putting them in the boxes for shipping, they are not heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardy View Post
    .nOBODY HAD MENTIONED WE WOULD NEED TO DO THIS .
    HOPE THIS HELPS CARDY
    It had been mentioned several times about this...research careful next time!
    For me, I also end up with same problem with shipping container last year as I have warned lots of people since about it. Check if your medications is on medsafe list. If not on the medsafe list like few of my medications, then you will need a letter from UK/USA GP then take to your NZ GP to write out another letter that NZ GP accept this medications is prescriable to you or your family as they won't accept letter from UK/USA...before you can give to custom to clear. Our container was struck at custom for two weeks because of this "unrecognised" medications mean "high risk"!!!

Where can you find the medsafe list?

Try this link:- medsafe

Ian

I am aslo a diabetic and like you have quite a lot of meds also I am on insulin, bring every thing with you, as regards insulin the air line we used was Emirates and they were verygood at putting it in the fridge during the flight.
    It wasn,t even asked about at customs even so I did have a doctors letter.
    Patricia

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    I am aslo a diabetic and like you have quite a lot of meds also I am on insulin, bring every thing with you, as regards insulin the air line we used was Emirates and they were verygood at putting it in the fridge during the flight.
    It wasn,t even asked about at customs even so I did have a doctors letter.
    Patricia
    Thanks Patricia, i have it all packed in my hold case and i have a drs letter confirming that i need these medicines so hopefully things will be ok