Thread: Work permit - Christchurch

Default Work permit - Christchurch

I'm trying to establish what's involved in obtaining a work permit for a job in Christchurch (as a UK citizen on a tourist visa), and am getting slightly confusing info from the Immigration site. Under the Work to Residence scheme, it says, quote:

The Work to Residence category allows you to get a temporary work visa and/or permit as a step towards gaining permanent residence. Applicants may be qualified in occupations that are in demand in New Zealand, or may have exceptional talent in sports or the arts.
    [my italics]

'May'? What does 'may' mean? Is that like definitely should, or is this negotiable? I know my occupation isn't on the Skills Shortage List (I'm a travel editor) but it's in an industry (Creative) which is in demand. I know they have to have been unable to find anyone locally before hiring a furriner, but would think, given the nature of the job, that if my particular style suited them well enough that would be adequate. "We simply must have Mr Jezza. There's nobody else quite like him."

Now, as I understand it:

1) The company makes me a written offer of employment.

2) I trog off to the nearest Immigration office (is there one in Chch?) bearing this offer of employment, a chest X-Ray, bank statement and my UK police check. And my wallet.

3) Those nice boys and girls in Immigration give me a work permit that very afternoon. Or a few days later, at any rate.

Does this sound reasonable?

There's an immigration office in Crystal Plaza near Cathedral Square, easy to find as it's in the middle of the city business district in Christchurch.

I think that your prospective employer would need to be accredited by NZIS in order for you to get a work permit based on a job offer, I haven't had any experience in this so maybe someone else who has can offer more information.

Bearing in mind my information is about 3 yrs old now, but this is my two cents worth......

Now, as I understand it:

1) The company makes me a written offer of employment.

2) I trog off to the nearest Immigration office (is there one in Chch?) bearing this offer of employment, a chest X-Ray, bank statement and my UK police check. And my wallet.

3) Those nice boys and girls in Immigration give me a work permit that very afternoon. Or a few days later, at any rate.

Does this sound reasonable?
    That is pretty much how we did it, but OH was a welder/fitter and the job was on the skills shortage list. Oh, and you need a contract - but you can find out on the website what info you need.

Work to residence and a work permit are two different things, this can be confusing.
    Quote:
    The Work to Residence category allows you to get a temporary work visa and/or permit as a step towards gaining permanent residence. Applicants may be qualified in occupations that are in demand in New Zealand, or may have exceptional talent in sports or the arts.
    [my italics]

'May'? What does 'may' mean? Is that like definitely should, or is this negotiable? I know my occupation isn't on the Skills Shortage List (I'm a travel editor) but it's in an industry (Creative) which is in demand. I know they have to have been unable to find anyone locally before hiring a furriner, but would think, given the nature of the job, that if my particular style suited them well enough that would be adequate. "We simply must have Mr Jezza. There's nobody else quite like him."
    The way I read this is that: Applicants will Either have Qualifications or a special talent. I'm happy to be corrected on that......

I agree with constablechuck, if your job is not on the skills shortage (or whatever they are calling it these days) or any other list your employer either has to be accredited or they have to prove to NZIS that they have tried and failed to employ a kiwi.

As I say, my information is getting quite old these days, but I hope this is of some help.

That's a bit annoying. I wonder how much hassle it is for the employer to have to prove to NZIS that they have tried to find someone local. Has anyone on here been in that position and been successful?