Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing Vehicles

Default Importing Vehicles

Just wanted to tell people of the hassel we are having at the moment regarding importing out Toyota Hi Lux into NZ.
    Be aware that it is classed as a commercial vehicle and as such does not have the EC whole vehicle idnetifier on the VIN plate. This is the true issue here.I approached the NZ`land transport folk and was met with a miriad of different information. Onto AA NZ, very helpful, but nonetheless couldnt help much. Approached Toyota NZ and was told that it did not meet the requirements and should not be imported!!! Strange when I can find the same model and year available for sale in NZ, imported from the UK!!
    I then aproached Toyota UK. Very helpful, the vehilce does the meet the EC standard or else it would not be MOT'd and be able to be used on UK and European roads. And all we need to do is part with £90 for a Statement of Compliance certificate.
    What really gets me is that the various NZS depts are not up to date with the rules. Being a KIWI myself it really feels like they are trying to disuade you and rip you off at the same time, not a pleasant feeling. Anyway dont give up if you want to take a vehicle with you, there are ways and means and all it takes is some persistence.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve - very interesting - we wanting to bring our little VW Polo with us - what is required for us to import the car - is it worth our while.

Thanks Jayne

Hi Jayne

to be honest I have no idea! The reason Im bringing mine, all being well is that I have owned for 2 years, its great, I avoid import duties etc, and it suits my needs totally. There are lots of ways to get a vehicle in, temporay import is one that I have looked into. If you want pm me and Ill send some links to the relevant sites for NZ Tansport, be warned its a bit complicated.

Steve

Oooh Steve just as we were going to bring the Passatt that's put me off again. I really can't do any more COMPLICATED. I've about had it!

we have considered not taking it, taking it, not taking it, then a different vehicle avoiding VAT but paying the GST etc etc, then finding out about all the compliance rules etc. Long evenings waiting for e mails, pouring over rules and regs, but finally, I think, nah hope all is well. Now just have to pray that when it is shipped over there is no damage.........

Even thought about overlanding from the UK..........the things you'll consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian and Jayne View Post
    Hi Steve - very interesting - we wanting to bring our little VW Polo with us - what is required for us to import the car - is it worth our while.

Thanks Jayne
    We were going to bring our Skoda...also part of VW group. But, they charge WAY MORE than other car manufacturers for Certificate of Compliance. VW quoted us £350, compared to less than £50 for several other manufacturers we checked out.

Also, on our model of car...Skoda Fabia, there was a recall according to Skoda NZ that was 5 hours of work to fix, but in UK...same car, VIN number etc and no recall. So, if we shipped car, it would have cost money to get sorted in NZ before we would be allowed to drive it, as UK did not recognise fault, and therefore would not do work required. Would have been fixed for free if UK were as up to date with their recalls as NZ. Apparently these discrepancies are quite common...so check EVERYTHING before you commit to shipping cars.

We brought our car with us. We had the complete runaround with Volvo NZ stating that a certificate of compliance which would cost 700 dollars - this was a total lie. As long as the vehicle had a EC plate it met the compliance requirements; the AA were very helpful on this.
    We've had some issue regarding the warranty since being here (again mainly down to Volvo NZ being useless) which were sorted out by Volvo UK.

I'm currently looking at importing some cars from Japan and must say there's some bargains to be had

I'd say for most importing a car is not really an option. Cars, even new ones, are relatively cheap in NZ, especially Japanese ones. It's only if you have something special that I'd brining it with you.

Tend to agree about car prices in NZ. But I want to have as much cash with me as possible when we get there!! And the extra for shipping is worth it with the other possessions. Also I like the car, a lot!! It does exactly what it says on the tin, and I need it for the work I will be doing. The dog loves it as well!!

We brought our Jeep Grand Cherokee from the UK to NZ 12 months ago. The value in the UK had plummeted in recent times thanks to the 4x4 school run drivers.

We got a C of C from Chrysler at no cost.

Importing into NZ was no problem, the vehicle has to be spotlessly clean, have a C of C, and to pass the WOF test.

The best for us is that the Jeep is now worth a lot more over here that it would be in the UK. The total cost to get it over, and in, was around 1600 UKP, money well spent we consider to have a vehicle of this quality and which is almost necessary to go to a lot of the out of the way places, and to safely navigate the seemingly endless road works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast