Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: import duty new goods

Default import duty new goods

Hi to you all,
    The family and I have read the advice on bringing certain goods over, inc white goods and TV's.
    We have just bought spanking new Plasma tv and washing machine (still boxed) to ship over to NZ.
    We have just been advised by PSS Removals that brand new stuff is liable to a 12.5% import duty!!! I have read several threads without that little gem coming to light!
    We now cross our fingers and hope the container contents are not spotted and escape said duty or take goods out of their boxes, and make them look as if they are not new.
    We have also been advised to have their receipts available in case we are collared and so they can assess the duty.
    If this is true, what a .........cheek!
    Please advise.
    3 weeks to go..what have I done
    Kieran.

Kieran,

We asked the same question to the shipping company...as we plan to buy a new washing machine and fridge, think you may have to take them out of boxes and plug in to check they work before you go....this solves 2 probs, (1) they may be faulty and 2 if you have switched it on, its technically not new, is it??

Have the shipping company got your items yet, or do you still have them??

J

Most of the threads I've read advise what 'holland' wrote.

Our shipping company advised the same, however we haven't got anything new, but we do have packaging for PC but that will be staying here and the pc will be in a shipping company box.

All you need to do is as others have said. Take it out of the box and try it out. If you then let the shippers pack the tv/washing machine back into their boxes,they will then put their own tape on it. Keep the receipts handy in case of problems ie, do not put them in the container and you shouldn't have a problem after all most households have a tv and washing machine.
    We have kept many of our original boxes as they will come in handy.
    We haven't got the tv box but they are building a crate for it. The rep said it would have been ideal had we kept the box but it was just too big to keep.

Dave and Caroline

We had a lot of original boxes for the telly, computer & kitchen items. As already advised, let the shipping co. put their tape or packaging on after you have made the item second hand. Also I have found that offering too much info can make things complicated (nudge nudge)

Good advice from others.

There was a place on the Customs form we were given that asked us to list anything new and unused. Because at the end we hadn't had the time or energy to unpack the super heavy thing, we dutifully listed our weight machine for Customs, and sure enough we were charged 12.5%.

Just FYI, our MAF inspector used his mobile to call Customs about a decorative knife we had in a box he inspected. It turned out to be fine with Customs, but I mention it because MAF is free to call Customs if they see anything that looks like a Customs issue while they are inspecting your goods.

Our removal company said that they can check the serial numbers on the appliances to see if they are new etc.
    How long are you supposed to have them for before they are no longer considered new?

That's WAY too paranoid, and not always true either.

"Used" means used. An appliance you've tested to make sure it works is used. Customs don't care if you've used it once or 2000 times. They care quite a bit about importation to evade duty, so if you're bringing multiples of any particular item they will presume you intend to sell the extras. They also care quite a bit about prohibited and dangerous goods, and attempts to evade sin taxes. (Wine collection: fine. Many cases of the same wine: not fine.) The list of no-nos is on their website.

The only other sticking point I can imagine, having obsessed about this subject far too much, might be non-household goods. The personal goods duty exemption applies to personal furnishings only. If you own some industrial machinery, say as part of a hobby, you'll have to justify the tax exemption for it.

Agree with others above.

If you want to check out the exact details for your own peace of mind then this link may be useful:- When No Customs Charges Apply

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast