Thread: Packing/shipping advice

Default Packing/shipping advice

Hi here come my questions! Does anyone know what info is needed on our packing list for shipping or do they have a template for an excel sheet?
    Thanks
    Clare
    Last edited by JSET; 15th August 2007 at 04:37 AM. Reason: two posts the same

We haven't had the packers in yet but they have sent us a couple of forms, one for the insurance / value of products and one with the inventory of things.
    I think must shippers use similar forms

Hi,

shippers have said they create a list of all items and they give me a copy, a seperate list we will have to fill in for insurance and value etc.

J x

As you are using shippers, I assume that they will be packing. They have a form which has the number of the boxes and the description of the contents of the box. Make sure that the shippers describe things properly, as MAF use it to ascertain whether they want to inspect the boxes. We had 'Boxed Goods' down on some items, so the MAF wanted to inspect those as no-one knew what was in them. Also, have a look on the MAF website and make sure that any descriptions do not include these.

Good luck.

Make sue they don't label any boxes 'miscellaneous' either...otherwise they will get opened. Better do put all stuff likely to get inspected by MAF together, so less boxes need checking. Shipping company packers will not do this automatically, so you would need to check it is done OK. Saves expense and hassle when stuff arrives, so worth doing.

so if i have a box of say DVDs do i list every DVDin that box or is box of DVDs worth £x enougth?

No, you don't need to list every dvd. On outside of the box and on the form inventory, just describe it as dvds. For the insurance form, I just added up the total number and assigned it a value (we had to declare anything over £1,000).

HTH.

We did a database of all CD and DVD's plus books...for our own records....then if the worst should happen, at least you have a list to easily replace what is lost. As it happens, customs looked at all our DVD and CD's (aparently they sometimes do this looking for 'dodgy' stuff, and when they arrived, they were not sealed up again and boxes a jumbled mess, so we were worried stuff was missing....at least we had a checklist otherwise it could have been months before anything missing was spotted and too late to claim on insurance.

The shipping company we used also offered us the option of insuring on a per cubic footage basis. £50 per cubic foot and then the charge was 3% of the total value. We did initially start off down the individual inventory route but as we started adding it all up came to the conclusion the per cubic footage would be simpler and the total value pretty much the same. We also had to itemise things with a single value of over £1,000 but we didn't have anything as although all the various parts of the hi-fi system put together would come to this no one part (e.g. amp, CD player) was. Equally our entire CD collection would come to more than this but each one on its own obviously not!

We also had to make decisions about whether we wanted cover for pairs (aimed at folks with two ming vases I think ) electrical demurage (sp?) and mould and mildew - all explained on the insurance documentation we got.

Prior to the packers arriving I made a point of gathering together all the stuff that MAF might be interested so it could be packed together eg all our small wooden ornaments. I also looked at the inventory form they put together pretty closely before signing them so that I could add further description if necessary. Think we're going to get clobbered though as there was rather a lot of stuff that came out of the garage which they marked as camping equipment even though it wasn't! Should have watched more closely when they packed it up but you can't be everywhere in the house at the same time now can you!

Sorry this became a bit rambling, hope its helpful.
    Anneliese