Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping paint and batteries.....

Default Shipping paint and batteries.....

Is there a safety reason or a Customs reason for not shipping batteries (D cells, AA cells, AAA cells, etc.) in our container? I can't find mention of them on Customs site and our shipping contact (a new one...long story) doesn't seem to know.

Also, is there a reason not to ship leftover latex paint?

And, our shipper's instructions recommend against packing with blankets. " Please do not use blankets as a method of packing for furniture as this is not recommended for international shipments."
    Why?

Thanks for your help.

Nathan

Not sure off the reasons but we were told that we could only bring ladders if I cleaned all the paint of them, so my father in law in now the proud owner of 2 pairs of step ladders, one of which are almost new.

I bought my ladders with no problem, and as I am a painter by trade, they were covered in the stuff.
    I think that fire risk is probably high on the list of reasons for not being allowed to ship paint. Having said that, latex paints present no risk in that dept. so I cant see why you have been told no to shipping that. Which, given the outrageous price of paint here, is a shame.

Wilskin talked to customs about paint and how to ship it. See this thread.
    (If you do go for it and ship leftover paint, you might as well ship some new paint as well. Expensive over here, as Timbo said)

We brought batteries in out container. Had no problem. I guess they can leak if they get hot enough for a prolonged period. Maybe put them in a sturdy tool box?

Jess, the program won't let me give you any more "rep"!!

Thanks!
    I owe you again.

What does paint run a gallon? Or litre?

Have seen many wonderful - and deep - colors when I browse trademe or real estate websites. Good to see Kiwi's not afraid to use colour on their walls.

Quote Originally Posted by migratory birds View Post
    What does paint run a gallon? Or litre?
    4 litres are pretty much a gallon, and 4 litres of interior wall paint will run you between $50 and $95 at Mitre 10. Then if I remember right there's an extra fee for coloring the base paint.

You can ship batteries, I shipped loads of them. Paint would definitely be worth brining over, as others have said it's very expensive.

Most of all, do you know what I wish I'd shipped? A huge, huge roll of carpet. I went to look for some yesterday and the cheapest in the carpet shop I was in was $75 pm and it was trash. The better stuff that I liked and would have cost me about £10 pm in the UK was just under $300 pm!! I'm sure I'll find it cheaper.... but what's with the huge cost!

We also brought loads of batteries. Paint can sometimes be a fire hazard...depends on type of paint (water/oil based etc), the container it's stored in etc....we brought all of our art paints (acrylics, oil, glass, watercolour, poster paints) and lots of smaller cans of normal wall paint as I do artwork on kids bedroom walls. Was OK as all cans were inside plastic tub, so if they did come open due to pressure change when shipping through tropics, it would not leak and cause problem for other items in container.

second you on the carpet! we have GREY carpet and boy I wish I could find a nice neutral coloured that didn't cost $100+per m
    as to batteries - I bought loads of aa & aaa & square ones - and they were listed on the packing details -- maf & customs didnt bat an eye??
    but I didn't really have much paint so I left it for the new owners of the house (it was just dregs)
    But boy I wish I had brought brand new tins - as they all say its expensive - but if you buy a big tub of white you can buy the colour tints separately and mix them yourself (this is what I did and I saved myself $30)

Kat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast