Thread: question re mobile phone contract in UK

Default question re mobile phone contract in UK

just wondering what most people did regarding their UK mobile phone contract when they left for NZ.

My 12mth contract is up now and normally I would be into the shop and getting new phone, checking our rates, packages etc. However with NZ move due in next few months (as soon as we sell house) I'm a bit unsure what to do. I believe if I finish contract early I'll have to pay it up, eg. settle up in full for remainder of year. Is this correct in most cases? What has everyone else done ?

Most UK phones are compatible with one or other of the NZ systems. You just need to get a new Sim card. If you already own the phone the prepay plans are the cheapest.

We were going to cancel our contracts but were given a number to ring 1st. They offered us such a silly deal ie new phones paid 12 months up front (£120) with £90 cash back after 3 months so it just cost £30 for a new phone to bring over & only used them in the UK a couple of times. When we arrived just brought Vodaphone pay as u go sims. Just need to make sure you have tri band I think (someone will confirm that I'm sure). Just actually sent letters to them to cancel our 12 month contract so it may be worth seeing what your provider offers you as phones are expensive out here compared to UK. (no free phones etc) Hope this helps a little.
    Jackie

I have Cingular in the US and I asked the local agent if we can get out of our contract early because we are moving out of the country, and if so, what would the charges be. She said that if we can prove we are moving to a place that has no Cingular service, we could cancel our contract with no penalty charges. I'm getting ready to do this in three weeks, so we'll see if she knew what she was talking about!

Vicky you can go on PAYG in UK now that your contract is up for the time being. Or you can do as Jackie suggested and look for a deal like that. Only thing about getting a deal like this is that sometimes they look good but when you get to the nitty gritty they not so good.....

Unless you want a new phone, I'd stick with PAYG. If you going via Singapore the phones are cheap enough to get there if a new phone is what you want.

Steve

The calls on the prepay phones here are no cheaper than the plans' calls. All the plans seem to do is hire purchase on the phones. It was a little while ago I checked this all out, so it might have changed.

Thanks people

Been into Carphone warehouse today and got sorted out , very happy bunny

My virgin contract has finished and basically there were no other fantastic offers on ANY contracts that would make it worthwhile paying up the 12 or 18mth term to close early when we move... however... I'm moving to O2 as they have a fairly new package out called Simplicity which seems to fit my situation perfectly.

its a sim only package which is fine as I'm perfectly happy with my existing Sony Erricson. I'll get 200 mins and 400texts a month plus 1mb inclusive browsing allowance for £15 month with no lengthy contract - I can simply keep it going on a month to month basis and cancel with 30 days notice.

Hope this info might help others - seems good deal to me.