Thread: Auckland North Shore - things to do with 5yr old

Default Auckland North Shore - things to do with 5yr old

Hi everyone,

Been here just over a week and we are over the jetlag at last but I'm struggling to make my son's days interesting (he is 5.5yrs). We've discovered Chipmunks which he thinks is wonderful but we can't go there every day and in anycase it isn't as much for him if its quiet. We've been to the beach as much as poss. when the weather is nice and in due course I hope to be brave enough to drive to Auckland Zoo, Kelly Tarlton's etc. In the meantime does anyone have any suggestions of things I could do with him in the East Coast Bays area (we're in Campbells Bay)?

On another tangent we're dithering over trying to get him into school now or waiting until the start of the new term - any comments/advise welcomed. We have at least decided we'd like to settle more permanently in the Bays so its unlikely we'd have to move schools in due course.

Thanks all,
    Anneliese (mgbridges OH)

mgbridges, my son's birthday fell in a holiday so it meant when he started there were 3 new children in total. This was nice as he got quite a bit of attention for being new, but wasn't the only new boy there.

To be honest there is not much in it and maybe the deciding factor should be what else you will be doing. For instance, if he's getting bored then get him starting school. But if you think he's going to take some settling in then wait for a time you know you can come and stay with him.

You could always do a couple of morning visits, pre-holiday and start him properly afterwards. The schools are really flexible here and will normally let you decide.

Check out this website for a list of the North Shore's facilities:

www.northshorecity.govt.nz

Look under City Life to find a list of playgrounds, parks, beaches and to subscribe to the newsletter which will tell you what's on in the area.

Also subscribe to the Auckalnd@Play newsletter:

www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/whatson/default.asp

If he's arty there is:

www.painttheearth.co.nz

This one is in Takapuna but there may be one nearer you.

Also when school holidays start check out:

www.bmcentre.co.nz

www.pumphouse.co.nz

They often have very good kids shows.

How about bowling (second one has indoor mini golf):

www.tenpin.co.nz/index.htm

www.tenpinbowling.co.nz/wairau/index.html

My 6 year old went to a birthday party there and loved it!

Check out your local library, they might have events on and we have a lot on at our local community centre (Devonport), anything from Art to Karate for children, maybe you have something like that near you?

Sorry that most of it is a bit south of you but as I don't drive I don't get very far up the coast!

If I think of anything else I'll post!

Cheers

Tia

I can't add much to Tia Maria's very comprehensive post

My 3 1/2 yr old boy loves the tunnels at North Head
    http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/Pla....aspx?id=34304

(Take a torch and watch out for holes, cliffs, etc.)

Default Thanks

All good ideas, thanks a million
    Anneliese

Great post again Tia, I would add rep if only I knew how.

Anneliese, The only thing I could add, in relatiojn to your son starting school, is to warn you about some of the very small and strange school zones in the ECB, (everywhere is probably the same but I only have experience of here).

We have 3 primary schools within about 1 mile of us but we are only zoned for 1 of them. One of the others would take my son but the other is full for his yr (he is 5) so wouldn't take him. The little boy across the road who would have been in his class goes there so that was a shame.

YOu could work this to your advantage, if you currently live in the zone for a school you particularly like and are confident you can settle somewhere close enough to get him to that school then there are advantages to registering him now.

Debbie

Start him off on school visits, I know what it's like to have to have a bored 5 year not good That way you can start him full time before the term ends or at the beginning of the new term. He should have a good settling in period which will help him no end before starting full time.

Also have a look at the local kindys, if they don't have a huge waiting list they may be able to put him into a couple of sessions a week If you have a chat to the head teacher about what school you've got him enrolled in they should be able to steer him to children that will attend the school. I did that with mine and they found the transition much easier, my middle one has just started and already knows all of her class and her brothers class

All of which will ease pressure and keep both of you happy

Thanks sizzlingbadger and Debbie. Our school search was pretty easy as there is only one Catholic Primary in the area and its not zoned. We went yesterday to have a look and meet the headmaster who promptly offered us a space in year 1 and Joe starts school on Monday! The school is lovely with happy kids, lots of art work on display and fab facilities, not to mention wonderful sea views - how will he ever concentrate!

We're very lucky as they are very oversubscribed and in fact I think if I'd waited to see if we could start him at the beginning of next term the answer would have been no.

So today is going to be a busy day - to church to collect signed form from priest, to school to sort uniform, then to shops to sort out lunchbox etc. Still it means he will have some routine to his life, make some friends and stop being quite so bored. It will also open some avenues for me (I hope) to make some more adult friends and give me time to house hunt without a whingy 5 1/2 yr old having to tag along.

Cheers everyone!
    Anneliese

Its my second day in north shore and I have been left to look after my 2 boys, 10 and 7 and our friends 4 year old daughter. At the moment my eldest is on his nintendo and the little girl is watching barbie, will probably go for a walk later. Kelly Tarltons tomorrow, or maybe the sky tower.