Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets and Rental Homes

Because some people aren't responsible pet owners and allow the animals to damage the property, either because they are not kept clean and make the place smell or by scratching at the woodwork, digging holes etc.

i recently got a puppy, and i have to say that they are much more havoc-creating than a cat. they are incredible chewers too, so all kinds of house damage can occur.

as far as smell goes though, i have to say that cat spray is the worst smell issue we've ever had...and they have really done quite a bit of house damage too, so maybe there is a bit of prejudice at work here...

maybe noise is the big difference. dogs usually bark at least some of the time, while you never hear cats screeching on the porch for hours. sometimes neighbors have to deal with hearing a lonely dog bark all day while you're at work.

Still I dont see why they would not want dogs, and cats will be allowed.
    I have seen cats rip open a couch at the bottom in a few weeks.
    (Those were the neighbours young kitties, they were having a ball, poor couch.)
    Btw they havent seen what damage kids can do!
    Not mine of course, next to the dogs, we have those trained very well too
    Thanks for all the replies, I think youre all very helpfull

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    Because some people aren't responsible pet owners and allow the animals to damage the property, either because they are not kept clean and make the place smell or by scratching at the woodwork, digging holes etc.
    Well thats pet in general.. what I am intrigue is they post particulary for a DOG or CAT not to be allowed.

When the LO says no PEts ..its PETS. But when they say CAT allowed ( why not DOGs? ) or the other way around?

I rent out a property in the UK and I specifically specify no pets or children

Why? Because it's my property and my decision - most of the time I should probably advertise as "cats only, no tenants" as the ones renting the property are usually worse than their pets!! Just kidding... it's a decision I made and I will stick to it.. other people can chance their property to a pet owner but I prefer not to.

You just have to respect the landlords decision.

One of my friends has 2 dogs and they have demolished her kitchen, , the interior washing machine rubber (they have learnt how to open it) and have chewed through the plaster walls - almost to the electrics!, her kitchen table and the door frame. As well as regularly leaving presents for her in the kitchen! Would you want to rent your home to someone who had dogs like that?! I know I wouldn't!

This sounds like a case of dogs being shut in the kitchen all day while someones at work. Bored dogs are like bored kids, they find something to do.

Dag Dierenliefhebbers,

I have to say I do understand I understand the landlords viewpoint too; we lived in 2 rentals where cats weren't really allowed but they let us have them anyway after we asked. The first one had no damage but the second one we left with a badly scratched door. The landlord didn't make us pay for it, it probably helped that we looked after their cat when they were on holiday! To the landlords any damage is just a pain.

The rental market is different here, most are privately owned and most people rent for much shorter periods than we are used to in Holland (is it the same in Belgium?) Here you only rent to save for a deposit so that you can buy. We didn't like renting because you can't really make the house your own because you're not allowed to touch it, no paint, a change of carpets (not even when they're all moldy) or even picture hooks. We put up curtains in the living room and the landlord thought we were mad : .

But in general you will be able to find somewhere where you can have pets, especially when you are willing to sign a longterm lease.

Good luck, Miep

Hallo Miep! and all others that reply

I think with Pets its the same as with children, as with any humans too, they can all damage a property, altho pets might do it more easily, but then again I think a good contract should cover any damage tenants cause. So we will indeed look for the rental that allows well behaved pets.
    I always supply my pets with the needed cheweys and scratchpoles. Younger dogs who are getting new teeth need stuff to chew on, and bored animals try to play or get out of their kitchen indeed.
    I must say our animals arent alone for full days on their own and I'm not going to get rid of them all either! I could get the cat to a "foster home", temporarily at my sisters and then have him come over when we have our own place tho.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    This sounds like a case of dogs being shut in the kitchen all day while someones at work. Bored dogs are like bored kids, they find something to do.
    that's why we decided to crate train our dog - with all the destructive exploration she does, there's no way we could leave her free for 8 hours! i don't dare look away from her for even 10 seconds, or she gets her teeth on something! it's impossible to watch your dog constantly all day, so in the crate she goes when i'm busy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast