Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pets and Rental Homes

Crate training was the best thing I ever did for my puppy. That's her own special place and she knows it. Now she's full grown and at 85 pounds, she could probably tear up quite a bit of my house if she wanted. She definately doesn't wander the house when I'm not home.

I have heard that crate training is v. popular in the States - I have a friend who tried it in the UK too with good results.

It's just not something I could do - I guess I am just tooo sensitive

But our new doggie is proving to be a total angel and I will be leaving her in the house for a few hours on her own tomorow (max 2hrs) to see how she gets on!

:hopeso

In any event we don't intend to leave her more than 4/5 hours on her own when I get a part time job.

i have heard that crate training is a sensitive topic, because it seems unpleasant to coop someone up like that. however, all the dog trainers and articles i've seen however seem solidly for it, and i only look at the positive reinforcement/humane resources (not old-fashioned style with choke chains and such). here's what i've learned on the topic:

dogs are den animals, and unlike humans they usually like confined spaces. that's why cats and dogs like to hang out under couches/chairs/tables. it feels safer.

i know metaphors can be unreliable, but i've been told to think of it as being similar to putting a child in a crib. sure they don't like being confined, but sometimes it's the safest thing you can do with them, and they also have to learn to be alone sometimes. little kids would rather stay up and play, and be free all the time, but that doesn't work either.

of course your puppy isn't going to love going in a crate against their will, but that's the training part. one technique to make it enjoyable is to drop special treats in the openings while they're inside. also, instead of draging the dog inside, i put a treat in my fist, put my fist inside the crate, then don't let her have the treat until she walks all the way inside.

it can be hard to hear them bark and whine and dig, but as long as you are giving them plenty of free time each day, then stick to your guns and don't let them out.

it is very important that you only let them out once they have quieted down, or they will learn to bark and bark until you let them out.

our puppy has become nice and quiet at night and during car trips, now that she's used to her crate!

Juniper, I absolutely agree with you. I began crate training my puppy a few weeks after I got her. I wouldn't have waited, but she was dreadfully ill and I didn't want her confined. Of course, she barked and whined. Now she goes there whenever she wants to be alone and she knows no one will mess with her until she comes out--or I call her.

It's also safer for them. I have read stories about people forgetting to put medicines and cleaners away and the dogs had a wonderful time playing with them. Then they died. My dog is part of my family and I would be devastated if something like that were to hapen.

mechidna

Our dogs are part of the family and have the run of the house the same as we do and in 20 years of dog ownership I haven't had a real problem, so I have mixed feelings about this crate training. I can see the usefulness if you travel or show a lot but as they are pack animals it seems a bit like shutting them away from the rest of the pack which would be a punishment. Having said that I didn't use a play pen for our kids either.

There is no one correct way for each of us to train out dogs, even with the two dogs we have now I have to use different methods to suit the character of the pair of them. What gets ones attention in a casual way would make the other really submissive. So please don't take what I am saying as a critisism more trying to get my head around the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    So please don't take what I am saying as a critisism more trying to get my head around the idea.
    course not, no offense taken :P every dog is an individual, methods naturally vary...i've never even been a dog person before, so these last few months have been a real lifestyle change! it's a lot of learning and plenty of patience. :angel

... and alot of walking... anyone have any blister plasters???!!!

Our life has changed overnight.. for the better! I am walking 40mins to 1 hr each walk 3-4 times a day.. running on the beach.. trotting round the neighbourhood.. stopping off at beaches and parks we'd never have seen otherwise.. meeting new people each day on the beach and meeting same ones each day too.... it's like a dog get-together in the evenings down by the sea.. and most of all Summer is very happy too!!

Man, I've gone all soppy....

Veronica...no offense taken. Eveyone has different ways of raising pets, just like they have differen ways of raising their children. My dog is very energetic even at 6. I tried several times to leave her out during the day. I gave up after she demolished my antique dolls which we put up out of reach (I thought). I found doll hair for days. It was funny actually, I could just picture her throwing them up in the air and catching them.

Moorf...I am so jealous. Walking on the beach. someday....

LOL Moorf , walking is sooooooo good for you. I love walking and meeting other dog people too..and enjoying the beach of NZ sounds wonderful!

About the crate training, you're not supposed to see it as a "lock them up so they are out of the way" thing.
    When we had our first dogs and they were not potty trained yet, we had a house with carpet all over except the bathroom. So when we had to go away, (never for a whole day tho) they went in there, on lots of newspapers. Well I can say, they really had a go in that bathroom at times.

It was just us untrained humans who did not know about what little sweet puppies (who are teething too after a while) can do with a bathroom. There was that day I thought the laundry hung high enough and found among other items, my favorite jeans had been the victim of a "Who's the best at tugging" game. And then we had that centrifuge (uhm to spin the water out of wet clothes?) They chewed off the spout! The shower curtain was high up on the rail, or so we thought... And that was only a few things.

Even when they grew up and were safe to be alone on the carpet for a while when we were gone, while they were teething they started to chew on our bed... I can tell you we were not really happy with that, esp not since it was on the spot you sit...I mean those wood splinters hurt you know!

Anyway, as soon as we had another pup, we bought a crate and we made that her comfy nest, lots of toys and chewies. (Buy lots of chewies for teething pups). She sleeps in there all the time, she's 10-yrs old now and she feels safe in there when thunder or fireworks make her feel bad.
    We don't have to lock her up in there when we go away and she has never demolished anything. It's her place for rest, no kids or cats allowed

***One thing tho, never stick them in their crate for punishment, btw we call it the bench, because it's a flight bench actually, which will come in handy when they come with us to NZ

In the week we have had her I have lost nearly 1kg!!! OMG :eek

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast