Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets and Rental Homes

Default Pets and Rental Homes

So here we are, planning on taking the kids and the pets. But... when we look online at rental places we see "NO Pets" all over them. Even if at first look they don't state no pets, when you check the details out, it says either no pets or Cats only. (Whats up with that anyway?)
    So how are you supposed to take your cat and 2 dogs like we are planning to do? We have very well behaved pets, 2 border collies that are used to flight benches already, thats their "nest" and they sleep in there when we are on holiday as well. So that won't be a problem when we get there and rent they would be going in their bench when we are not around.
    Anyone have any experience yet? We dont' know yet which area we will end up, but so far we have been checking out Realenz and some other property sites, and most say No PETS! :?

Hannah from Holland.

I've run into the same problem. Although I did find a couple long stay motels that allow them. Go figure.

If you find something out, let me know. The most I can say is that I was told you literally have to talk to the landlords about pets.

While you look after your dog there are people who don't and thats what the landlords are trying to avoid. One option is to offer to post a bond on damage or nuisence that could be caused by the pet and see if that will help.

As you may know, we now have a dog, Summer.

Before we could consider having her we had to talk with our landlord. We get on well with them and they know we are responsible tenants. When we asked they said that they didn't really want to allow pets in case of damage / dirt / smell etc.

I promised them that I would clean / replace / etc on leaving and that if they wanted we would be happy to sign an additional contract/agreement. That seemed to do the trick - and they are quite happy for us to have her here now.

Just talk to the landlords.. many of them probably have pets of their own and if assured you are responsible and dogs are well behaved may allow you to rent with pets.

Thanks for the tips! It's just I really want to take the pets.
    The oldest one is 10 years old and I'm not saying she's like a child, but she IS part of the family.
    The younger doggy is my hubby's doggy and he trains her with sheep, thats his only hobby.
    They're both getting pretty good at it, so she has to come too, right?
    Well the cat, he's our house tiger, a sweet cuddly guy, even hubby likes him and he's not a real cat person
    If there's any other Pet owners here, please: ALL input is welcome, not only about rentals.
    "See" you in NZ this year hopefully!

Hannah from Holland.

Hi Hannah, or should I say "hoe gaat 'ie?"

We are a Belgian family, moved to NZ in November with 1 dog. It 's just a small Lhasa Apso, but we had serious trouble in finding a rental here in Auckland. As you had already noticed, almost every owner says 'no pets'. We were lucky to have found a house were the owner was happy to take a dog. We feel we pay too much rent per week now, but we had no other choice at the time. We really needed the house because the dog was released from quarantine on 4th of December, so we had a deadline. We stayed in a motel as long as the dog was quarantined, so we had to find a house before release date.

I assume you speak Dutch, so you can take a look at the website I created about our move to NZ. Here's the link:
    www.wannabeekiwi.mysites.nl

Groetjes,
    Cheers,
    Lesly :P

Hi Lesly,
    Natuurlijk spreek ik ook nederlands

Thank you very much for your reply, your website has so much to offer!
    I have already read a lot, but will return laters for more.
    Lots of interesting items and some come very close to our own situtation with two young kids and some pets.

So I think you will hear more of me soon. Thanks so much for sharing!

Hannah

Graag gedaan, Hannah! Ik hoop dat je er iets aan hebt.

Good luck with your plans

Cheers,Lesly.

When we looked around properties last week some places allowed pets and some didn't - some specified cats only or no dogs so I guess you can let any lettings agents know who will be looking for you and get them to do the legwork for you.

what could be the reasons why landlords be very particular on having a cat or a dog? :

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast