Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christchurch or Hobart Tasmania?

Post Christchurch or Hobart Tasmania?

Hi all,

I need some unbiased feedback (if that is possible) on choosing Christchurch or Hobart Tasmania to emigrate from the States. We were hoping to leave in November if our house ever sells. There are advantages and disadvantages to both with the main advantage to Tasie being my Australian wife and the ease of entry. We have to decide quickly because the application to get the dog into Australia has to be accepted before you can reserve a quarantine spot. There are only three kennels in the entire country and the back up is a few months for the Melbourne kennel. Any pros and cons’ for both areas would be greatly appreciated. My heart says Christchurch, but practicality says Hobart.

These things are down to individuals really aren't they but for what its worth. I'm a NZer who grew up in the country (Far North) and for the last 20 years on and off have lived in London. My family now live in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.

I would choose Hobart for the location and the lifestyle. Add to the fact that your OH's family is over that way, it would be my choice. (Don't shoot me those who are fans of Christchurch) While I prefer the NZ people and have plans to move back to NZ in 12 months, Christchurch just doesn't do it for me.

We could all list pluses and minuses of each but the choice is probably between your heart and your mind, regardless of what anyone writes.

.......all just my opinion, of course.

Good luck with whichever you choose

Hobart.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by bazza View Post
    Hi all,

I need some unbiased feedback (if that is possible) on choosing Christchurch or Hobart Tasmania to emigrate from the States. We were hoping to leave in November if our house ever sells. There are advantages and disadvantages to both with the main advantage to Tasie being my Australian wife and the ease of entry. We have to decide quickly because the application to get the dog into Australia has to be accepted before you can reserve a quarantine spot. There are only three kennels in the entire country and the back up is a few months for the Melbourne kennel. Any pros and cons’ for both areas would be greatly appreciated. My heart says Christchurch, but practicality says Hobart.
    While Hobart might be the most practical choice...will you ever feel completely settled if you go there rather than Christchurch? Tough one really....but i'm sure many of us would never have left the UK if we were purely thinking 'practically'. There are many of us who left behind family support, babysitters, friends, familiarity etc. It means going it 'Solo' for a while at least. But if your heart tells you to go, you just have to give it your best shot. Why not try christchurch for a couple of years. If you find it was not the best decision, it is not so far to move to Hobart later.

Default We have the same dilemma

Hi everyone,
    Yes we have been going over the same stuff ourselves. If finances are an issue Tassie is currently better value with large blocks and larger houses for less money... although we are looking in Nelson too. We are coming from Perth so we are spending Aussie$$$$$ but even then I would think that the rates would be in a similar proprotion if you convert US$. You will get more Kiwi $ than AU$.
    You are closer to the mountains in Christchurch, and you have an International airport. I imagine it will depend on what you want from your move. I suspect that we will end up going with our heart... although the head is undecided anyway.
    We go over to NZ in 5 weeks and if we don't fall in love with Nelson and/or Christchurch we will be off to Hobart, for us the decision is a bit easier as our cat can come straight in and we won't be coming so far. Coming so far you need to be sure you love it. Both are gorgeous in my book.
    Good Luck,
    Gina

Default So Lupin what is your reasoning?

Hello Again,
    I was just curious as to why Lupin 77 would go with Hobart, just out of interest and because of my own thoughts i guess.
    Gina

TBH, they're very different. We visited friends near Hobart last October and I'd describe it as Scotland with snakes.......

Horses for courses I guess

Tasmania has some of the cleanest air in the world. The scenery is awesome, beautiful climate etc. It's also (relatively) affordable. I'm not a city person so that has a huge impact on my choice. I enjoyed Chch when we visited but I'm just not a city type.

although that was a little stupid of me as the OP is choosing between Hobart and Chch, not anywhere rural in Tassie

Thanks for all the input. I have to admit that I was surprised by it. I wasn't expecting anything for Tassie. I should probably clarify our reasons for the question. We had scoped out the South Island and on our trip a few months ago, we decided on CC because we felt it afforded us the best opportunity to make a living and then move on to maybe a more rural area. I am 52 so I don't really have the luxury of not finding a decent job. Since we did all our research on CC and the South Island, we know very little about Hobart as it does not seem to have the Wow factor that New Zealand has. When I mentioned practicality, I was looking at cost of living, job potential and housing. If we do move to Hobart it would be a move without ever seeing the place. That is why I was hoping for the wisdom of this forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast