Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips to make your 1st month living in NZ a piece of cake...

Default Tips to make your 1st month living in NZ a piece of cake...

Hey all!

I arrived here in Welly on July 19th after a tiring flight. Since then I have done the following that has gotten me past all the set up stuff for my new life. It's worked out well for me so I figured I'd write up a quick list for all of you who will be arriving soon for your big move to NZ! I did this in this actual order...

a) DON'T get a contract cel phone as they are too expensive and don't give you enough included minutes. Get a Vodaphone pre-pay account with Text2000 as an addon. Once you meet someone nice.. i.e. your new best friend or a new mate (Girlfriend in my case), order Vodafon's BestMate option for $6.00/month for UNLIMITED calls to them/month. It's a good deal for NZ.

b) Set up a local bank account: I picked ANZ bank because they also own National Bank and between both, there's no ATM fees for either bank. Get an F-POS card! They are well needed here!

c) Apply for your IRD number!!! Apply for your IRD number! If you need it fast for your employer, request them to expedite it in writing via fax.

d) Set up a www.Skype.com VOiP account for cheap long distance called for outside and inside NZ! (yes it's costs far less to use Skype for LD calls within NZ!). AND get a skype tested headset for fun VOiP calls to your friends back home for dirt cheap. It's 2.1 cents/min from NZ to USA/Canada/UK/most of Europe and Australia...

e) Set up an account at http://www.xetrade.com for international cash transfers. It's sort of cumbersome to get it setup at first, but once you do you'll be very thankful! XEtrade's local NZ account is held at "National Bank" (wink wink, nodd nodd) - see letter "b" makes things e-z when sending your $ to them.

f) NZ Credit history: Like me, you will have none here but's important to build it up the sooner the better! Even if you had perfect longstanding credit where you came from it does not matter anymore nor does it transfer to NZ. So once you get settled in, get a Qantas Classic Visa card from ANZ bank for earning miles on Qantas. Qantas flies everywhere Air NZ does within NZ, but more places outside of NZ! If you are a PR holder & are employed with a decent salary it should be e-z get one, otherwise on a 30 mth WTR permit/visa (like me), you'll need to show your passport, work permit stamp, a NZ pay stub and your full time perm job offer letter to get an ANZ Qantas Visa card. Be forewarned, pay off your balance on this card each month or you'll be hit with a 19% APR on it.

g) For US citizens (like me), organize all your receipts from your expenses for your move to NZ as well as the receipts from any RECCY trip you took. Most everything is a tax write off with the IRS. (see the IRS for more info)

h) DO get a local land phone if you can share it with one or more persons. It will save you on those pricey outgoing cel phone calls.

i) Sometime sooner vs. later and for free parking and dirt cheap petrol costs, I got a scooter for my job commute to the Wellington CBD. It's fun, and gives you freedom on weekends to explore the town while parking your bike anywhere! Vroom Vroooom! Otherwise, get a car but be forewarned about parking $$$$$$$ and petrol costs!

j) Apply for a TradeMe (www.trademe.co.nz) account - it's worth it. You can bid on cheap stuff among other things as this is the "Ebay" of NZ!

Hope this helps and congrats to all you soon-to-be new NZ arrivals.
    If you will be coming to Welly, let me know so we can meet up for a coffee!

Cheers,

John
    Last edited by skibumwa; 29th August 2007 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typo

Excellent post and great advice John!

I am a big fun of Skype too..I am using for free from the States for all international calls.

cheers:Anna

Thanks for sharing your info, would like to mention that a few of your points read a bit biased to me i.e. you seem to be recommending certain specific companies when there are others that are equally good or some members may think are better for their circumstances.

So would say that your points are valid but the specifics may vary on a per person basis.

b) Set up a local bank account: I picked ANZ bank because they also own National Bank and between both, there's no ATM fees for either bank. Get an F-POS card! They are well needed here!
    It's actually an EFTPOS card (Electronic Funds Transper at Point of Sale), thought I would mention this as I could see someone asking for the wrong thing

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by skibumwa View Post

Qantas flies everywhere Air NZ does within NZ, but more places outside of NZ!
    Huh?
    Qantas doesn't fly to Dunedin, Invercargill, Timaru, Greymouth, Nelson, Napier, Taupo, New Plymouth and many other NZ airports

Apply for your IRD number!!! Apply for your IRD number! If you need it fast for your employer, request them to expedite it in writing via fax.
    Just wanted to let people know that to speed things up you can apply for your IRD number before you come to NZ. The forms are on the IRD website.

Glad to hear you've settled so well skibumwa!
    I agree with IanW99 that the general tips are valid and that there could be different providers/options that suit others' circumstances better.

Generally, first 3-4 weeks includes sorting out:

• Finances: bank/foreign exchange
    • Telephones
    • Longer term accomodation (i.e. not the first place you crash at) which could be rented or bought
    • Transport
    • Insurance for accomodation and transport
    • Schools (if you have kids, obviously!)
    • Register with a doctor (especially if you have kids!)
    • Jobs (if, like us, you came without one)
    Once those are sorted, next steps seem to include:

• Sports clubs
    • Pets (unless you shipped yours over)
    • Pet associated stuff like vets, insurance etc
    • Driving licence (theory test only if you have a full licence from your country of origin)
    • Find Financial Advisor
    • Join Trade Me
    Things we did BEFORE arriving in NZ that seemed to ease the workload in first weeks:
    • Get IRD numbers
    • Explore school websites and application processes in the areas we wanted
    • Job searches
    • Prepare CVs
    • Compare mobile provider tariffs
    • Compare banks using their websites
    • Set up foreign exchange mechanism

This forum is a mine of information on all those topics if you use the search button at the top.

Enjoy New Zealand!

Gil

They have partner airlines that fly within NZ.. trust me...

Also Qantas flies to more international destinations by far over Air NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by aggelon View Post
    Huh?
    Qantas doesn't fly to Dunedin, Invercargill, Timaru, Greymouth, Nelson, Napier, Taupo, New Plymouth and many other NZ airports

Default Nice list! Seriously in-depth!

NICE set of stuff here! This is far more advanced than my little list.. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    Glad to hear you've settled so well skibumwa!
    I agree with IanW99 that the general tips are valid and that there could be different providers/options that suit others' circumstances better.

Generally, first 3-4 weeks includes sorting out:

• Finances: bank/foreign exchange
    • Telephones
    • Longer term accomodation (i.e. not the first place you crash at) which could be rented or bought
    • Transport
    • Insurance for accomodation and transport
    • Schools (if you have kids, obviously!)
    • Register with a doctor (especially if you have kids!)
    • Jobs (if, like us, you came without one)
    Once those are sorted, next steps seem to include:

• Sports clubs
    • Pets (unless you shipped yours over)
    • Pet associated stuff like vets, insurance etc
    • Driving licence (theory test only if you have a full licence from your country of origin)
    • Find Financial Advisor
    • Join Trade Me
    Things we did BEFORE arriving in NZ that seemed to ease the workload in first weeks:
    • Get IRD numbers
    • Explore school websites and application processes in the areas we wanted
    • Job searches
    • Prepare CVs
    • Compare mobile provider tariffs
    • Compare banks using their websites
    • Set up foreign exchange mechanism

This forum is a mine of information on all those topics if you use the search button at the top.

Enjoy New Zealand!

Gil

Who are these partner airlines flying within NZ? I haven't come across them.

there have been recent threads on here from people who have flown into NZ on quantas, and then could NOT get a connecting flight on a domestic flight with any carrier but air NZ, and thus had to pay extra baggage costs etc because they were not on a Quantas connecting flight (did not exist) so thats something to watch out for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast