Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard is it to get a teaching position?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How hard is it to get a teaching position?

Hi All,
    I have seen a few posts from teachers but i haven't really seen this question discussed. I have been teaching over 20 years, 10 in the UK and 12 in Oz. I have taught right across the Primary range but prefer 7-10 year olds. I am now finishing an ESL qualification so this should widen my scope. We will be over in 4 weeks for our recce to decide between Nelson and Christchurch, although Nelson is currently the favourite.
    Has anyone had a great deal of problems getting teaching work? Will it be difficult in these areas in particular? I would appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks.
    Gina

I've been applying for RTLB posts but it's difficult to focus on locations as well as teachers' resignation date timetables. For example, I can't resign now here in the UK until December 31st. Although I'll be available to start in the new NZ school year, I can't help thinking there's not many schools would take anyone on without a decent interview. I know there are people who have had phone interviews etc but it cuts boths ways, I'd like to get to know a bit about the school myself before I commit.

Keep checking the Education Gazette website for vacancies. The February batches should be coming through anytime now apparently.

TeachNZ also has placement companies that will help you get a job. These companies focus primarily on schools and places that have had a very hard time filling teaching positions and keeping teachers. So keep that in mind.

Yes, TeachNZ are good but, as you say, they have a somewhat limited clientel. I'm too l ong in the tooth to go into battle again. I'll probable go for relief teaching so i can get an idea of the schools before I start applying. At least you can pick or choose whether you want to work.

My daughter's school is having a bit of a bad time with staff getting pregnant, and needing to replace them. Would like me to PM you their email address so you can ask how they recruit?

Hi Nick.
    I've PM'ed you.

I am looking for a position as a secondary school counselor either in Auckland or in Hawke's Bay. I have only seen postings on Education Gazette. Does anyone know where else these are posted? TeachNZ seems only to have teaching positions.

Thanks!
    Katie

I'm not sure schools over here have counselors, There isn't really a big call for it.

I have sent info to Carey about schools local to me, one of which I know has been needing staff in the last year or so. Apparently they have not been advertising in the Educ Gaz. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the case with most of the jobs.

Personally I would identify areas and schools and send them a CV on the off chance they have a vacancy. If they know someone is leaving to start a family in 6 months things might be nicely timed, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick88 View Post
    I'm not sure schools over here have counselors, There isn't really a big call for it.

I have sent info to Carey about schools local to me, one of which I know has been needing staff in the last year or so. Apparently they have not been advertising in the Educ Gaz. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the case with most of the jobs.

Personally I would identify areas and schools and send them a CV on the off chance they have a vacancy. If they know someone is leaving to start a family in 6 months things might be nicely timed, eh.
    Good advice above. Generally, schools here really lack staff on the pastoral care side - teachers tend to do the work of guidance staff and counsellors as well as teaching. I suspect only schools with real behavioural / discipline / social problems would employ counsellors - and that would likely be secondary schools in poorer areas. I suspect they would also be looking for specific experience with Maori / PI students as well.

Primary teaching is not on the shortage list, so you are up against all the NZ trained teachers for these posts. A lot of posts are filled by word of mouth. Relief teaching is a good way to get in with schools - you need to apply to individual schools to get on their relief lists (at least outwith the bigger cities). The OH has had 2-3 job offers as a result of long term relief teaching (he hasn't accepted any but that's another story!)

Secondary teaching certainly has shortages - but tend to be specific subjects (maths, english, physics, chemistry) and specific areas / schools (poorer, more social problems, higher staff turnover). You might want to bear that in mind when applying / interviewing.

Good luck all!

Default Thanks for the help

I think I shall get my form for registration filled out, pay my $120 and then once that is sorted send of my CV to schools near where we plan to live....once we have made that decision.
    Gina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast