Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The great shopping hunt

I think this has been mentioned before, but for those that havent seen it

http://www.theenglishcornershop.co.nz/products.htm

OK - I can't claim the credit for the marzipan. My Mum sent it to me a couple of years ago, and I believe she stole it from Delia...

350g ground almonds
    175g icing sugar
    175g caster sugar
    1/3 teaspoon of almond extract (you can def get this in New World as I still have the bottle from last year and haven't used it since!)
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon brandy (optional)
    2 large eggs plus 1 extra yolk

Sift the sugars into a large bowl then stir in the whole eggs and the egg yolk. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk for about 12 minutes until the mixture is thick and fluffy. Remove from the heat and sit the bowl in a couple of cms of cold water. Whisk in the almond extract, lemon juice and brandy and whisk until the mixture is cool. At this point add the ground almonds and knead to form a paste.

I have a recipe using glycerine instead of eggs as well, but it isn't quite as nice - a bit more artificial tasting.

I've checked my nutmegs - they are called Mrs Rogers. There are about 15 in the tub, and I've had it for ages and only used a couple. They have an expiry date of Jan 2008 (but do nutmegs actually expire?), if anyone would like one I'd be happy to post them out.
    For AKL people I would only have bought them in either New World in Victoria Park, Woolworths in Richmond Rd or Foodtown in Williamson Ave. These are the only supermarkets I've been to, so it has to be one of them!

I did visit a fab store in Napier which sold spices in bags, and I stocked up on juniper berries, cinnamon sticks and star anise, which are usually quite difficult to get hold of. And they were a bargain price too!

Eco store do loads of cleaning products they describe as taint free. They have some products in supermarket or whole range in own shop in Auckland...

http://www.ecostore.co.nz/

I'm still looking for silver/stainless steel breadmaker.

I have an item for the list -- has anyone seen grain alcohol? Also called rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol, usually sold in the health/beauty/cosmetics sections. I used it (diluted) as a facial toner, to remove last traces of soap or makeup. Could not find this anywhere in Wellington stores --

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    I'm still looking for silver/stainless steel breadmaker.
    I'm in luck...found a breadmaker this morning in Noel Leeming. Was looking at all the sale stuff, and they wheeled out a crate of the PERFECT breadmaker right there and then..right size, right colour, and OH didn't bat an eyelid when I told him how much it cost, so it couln't have been too expensive

Have you tried Bin Inn for the nutmeg? I get all of my spices there, and the range is pretty good. They are franchises so if one doesn't have it another might.

Thank you Kerry for the recipe - am sure I will need it for when/if we ever get to NZ

Jayne

any one seen veggie mince. we found some when we first got here before moving to waiheke but cant remember where we bought it from.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewandjane View Post
    any one seen veggie mince. we found some when we first got here before moving to waiheke but cant remember where we bought it from.
    I saw some in Foodtown at the Plaza in Whangaparoa a few weeks ago. We don't use veggie mince personally, but foodtown seems to have a good range of veggie stuff for us, so maybe other Foodtowns nearer to you might have some?

Pretty sure Bin Inn has the dried stuff.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast